• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does vintage gear wear when u don't use it??

Robcuypers

Akai vintage collector
Hi guys,

I have a question for all of the vintage audio gear collectors out there.
I started a while ago with my collection of vintage AKAI amplifiers and complete stereo sets. Now i was wondering.... Are amplifiers and tuners "wear off" when u don't use them? I understand that cassette decks and (most) turntables have belts ect that goes bad when u don't use it. But how about them amplifiers and tuners??
I currently have the following sets and the reason for my question is because i don't use them all......

Akai AM2450 amplifier + AT2450 tuner + GXC706D cassette deck 3x
Akai AM2350 amplifier + AT2250 tuner + AP100C turntable
Akai AM2250 amplifier + AT2250 tuner
Akai AM2600 + AT2600
Akai AM2200 amplifier + AT2200 tuner
Akai AP-D33 turntable 2x
Akai AP207 turntable
Akai AP206C turntable
Akai GX4000 Reel to Reel
Akai 4000DS mk2 Reel to Reel

and i'm sure i forget something.... :scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
It's true about the rubber parts like belts and idler wheels but i'm not sure about amps.
Perhaps after many years the caps may drift out of spec a bit but since there's no juice flowing through them i would think not.I'm no expert on this,I'm sure some of the techno heads will chime in with their take.
 
Equipment really should be powered up every few months and allowed to run for a while. Keeps the caps formed. Long periods of non-use tend to be bad. Exercise all controls as well.
 
^That.
And: untouched controls go bad even in running gear. I tell people to work all the knobs and switches at least 2 times a month, especially those they usually don't use (like balance control, tape monitor switch, speakers B switch etc. Otherwise contacts will oxidize, especially with older units, but it can also happen to gear that's only 3-5 years old.
 
No, that's paranoia. It's fine to leave it unused for tens of years and no issues will be had. Proof? Everyone here has found such gear, playing just fine.
 
Thanks everybody for your awnsers! I Guess i will take them out once in a while and play them so i can enjoy them for a long time!
 
FWIW, right in the back of the United Chemi-Con cap catalog it says if caps have been on the shelf for 2-3 years they should be brought up to their rated voltage, slowly, while not exceeding the DC leakage spec, until the leakage goes down to the expected value, and the cap kept under rated voltage for (I think) a couple hours.

The oxide layers do degrade and are reformed under voltage, so sure, you can just power up your prize after a decade, let the current surge through the parts and hope for the best, but why let it get to that state?
 
And about everyone here finding gear unused for years: yeah, we do. Then we spend some sweet time bringing it back to reasonable shape with deoxit and whatnot, we wait till the caps get back in shape (can take weeks), and only then it starts sounding just fine. And sometimes it doesn't.
 
FWIW, right in the back of the United Chemi-Con cap catalog it says if caps have been on the shelf for 2-3 years they should be brought up to their rated voltage, slowly, while not exceeding the DC leakage spec, until the leakage goes down to the expected value, and the cap kept under rated voltage for (I think) a couple hours.

Yep at rated voltage for two hours, recently read similar or same thing. I'd like to build something to test like that.
 
Back
Top Bottom