• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dolby Options and Playback

I'm certainly far from an audiophile, lol, but I've never been a huge fan of Dolby C. IMHO Dolby C muffles the sound too bad to the point of losing crisp highs and just a general lackluster sound. I keep my cassette deck in good working order via cleaning the tape path and demagnetizing, etc. Dolby B on the other hand is a must for me. Any tapes I do automatically get the Dolby B treatment.

I used to think the same thing, about Dolby B or C, until I got and refurbed a Nak RX-505. Dolby C is amazing on a quality NAK. I'm not trying to knock whatever deck you own, but I was used to my high quality Yamaha K960, that I owned since new in the early 80's (so, of course, I knew that Dolby sucked), but now it is clear that it doesn't hold a candle to my 505's. It REALLY makes a huge, huge, difference what tape deck you use. Most pre-recorded tapes played on my Naks sound superb, with Dolby B decoding. The ones that state Dolby HX and B NR, (most of the latter high quality pre-recorded tapes) sound better than many CDs I have, have almost as good S/N for background noise, and the highs are crystal clear. I recently got a hold of a Yamaha K-1020, and it rivals the Naks. I just love finding little used tapes for $.85 at the GW, and listening to a new album, in new condition for pennies!!!
 
So far, I've found that leaving the Dolby "off" sounds better most of the time, especially on bass heavy music. Sometimes, Dolby B makes no difference when I'm listening to a song but between songs, I don't hear any hiss if I select Dolby B.

I've found that some pre-recorded cassette tapes sound just as good as cds, and others don't sound as good. I buy all my pre-recorded tapes used but in excellent cosmetic condition so even if the tape looks new, it might have been listened to a lot.


Are pre-recorded tapes recorded using high bias? If I copy a CD to a blank TDK SAX or Maxell XLII high bias tape, will I get better fidelity than the factory cassette that I'm currently using? Will it sound better in my walkman or the car than the factory tape?
 
The Teac AN-150 was Dolby B only. Dolby wouldn't license Dolby A to any consumer or semi-pro deck due to mechanical/electrical reasons. Dolby A was optimized for 15/30 IPS use on decks like 3M, Ampex, Studer, etc. Dolph, any Dolby cassette tape with Dolby was mastered to Dolby B standards. If the master was Dolby A it was decoded on the master reproduce machine.
 
The Teac AN-150 was Dolby B only. Dolby wouldn't license Dolby A to any consumer or semi-pro deck due to mechanical/electrical reasons. Dolby A was optimized for 15/30 IPS use on decks like 3M, Ampex, Studer, etc. Dolph, any Dolby cassette tape with Dolby was mastered to Dolby B standards. If the master was Dolby A it was decoded on the master reproduce machine.
Thanks!!! I had HEARD of Dolby A but never knew exactly what it was used on.:banana:
 
Dolby B and C always left me wanting more - it was probably the deck I was using. I would love to experiment with Dolby S and hear how good it sounds.

Not to steer away from Dolby, but if you want to hear the potential of cassettes, make a recording with dbx instead of Dolby. You may be surprised - I was. From now on, I'll only use dbx when recording. Now if I could just locate a few more good decks with dbx to have on hand for the future. Playing back a tape recorded with dbx on a non dbx deck is painful.

Rob
 
Back
Top Bottom