• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Don't ever walk away from a vintage pair at the thrift - AR3a

I ordered their hemp summercloth, and while it's very attractive, the thread count is higher and the fiber woollier than the original AR grill cloth. I have trouble believing it could be as acoustically transparent.
:D

Interesting because the batch that I got from them was pretty much a dead on match for the material that was on my AR7's. Maybe there is an inconsistency with what they are offering? :scratch2:
 
Interesting because the batch that I got from them was pretty much a dead on match for the material that was on my AR7's. Maybe there is an inconsistency with what they are offering? :scratch2:

Could very well be. The color is dead-on, but the weave not so much.
 
When I first stumbled on this pair of 3a's today I honestly only saw $ in flipping them, but as I continue to sit and listen tonight I've concluded that that would be heresy...
:D The "AR Virus" is a hard bug to shake. When faced with that big, rich sound that never gets fatiguing, or harsh (and goes oh-so-deep into the bass...) what's a fella to do? :dunno:
 
Could very well be. The color is dead-on, but the weave not so much.

Sorry that I may have steered you in the wrong direction with the cloth. I did get a swatch before I bought mine and it did match with weave and color, although this has been well over a year ago.
 
:D The "AR Virus" is a hard bug to shake. When faced with that big, rich sound that never gets fatiguing, or harsh (and goes oh-so-deep into the bass...) what's a fella to do? :dunno:
Ain't that the truth! I bought my first ARs (4x and 5) back in the late 60's. Picked up a lot of different speakers since then, but I always go back to the AR sound. Since discovering this site a few years ago, I've added to the AR stable with some AR2, AR2a, AR2ax (both versions), another pair of 5s, AR3, AR3a, AR4, and a couple more pairs of 4xs. At least as far as I'm concerned, I think the "AR Virus" is incurable. :D
 
Nice buy! As many have said before, those are cloth surrounds. Try re-doping them with a mixture of water and latex based silicon. Love that green paint touch.
 
Back
Top Bottom