• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Don't want to DIY, but where to send a dead mic for repair?

adam42

New Member
I've got a Samson Q2U USB/XLR dynamic mic, value about £80 new. Today it's just not working - dead as a dodo. I've tried different cables and sockets but nothing helps.

I don't want to chuck it straight in the bin and I'd be prepared to take it or send it somewhere to see if it's repairable, but Google's not helping at the moment. I tried "Geeks Call-out" who looked like they might do computer-related equipment, but they sounded insulted that I'd even asked.

Any suggestions?
 
Register to hide this ad
There are some Google hits on "samson q2u microphone not working" which might help to pinpoint the problem, as it appears others experienced problems as well. It could be something simple like a failed cable/connector. Probably not worth replacing mic element or repairing internal components (if any) but any halfway skilled electronics guy should be able to replace cables.
 
Thanks for the responses - I hadn't used the search term "not working", which is obviously much better than my google-fu - my excuse is yesterday was a bad day Sunspots or something.

Amazing that there's a subreddit for microphones. Their cumulative knowledge though is still the same as what I picked up already - it's either the cable or the USB socket. I checked and eliminated the cable as the cause, I just figured someone might be able to replace the USB socket. Probably a lot of effort and cash when I can't even tell that the socket is the problem.

I haven't got any XLR equipment to use the mic with. It was my intention to upgrade to XLR at some point, I just never got around to it. I guess I'll keep the mic in a cupboard so I can check it again if I do get an XLR mixer.

@llwhtt are you speaking from experience there? What's a good mic make?
 
I haven't got any XLR equipment to use the mic with. It was my intention to upgrade to XLR at some point, I just never got around to it. I guess I'll keep the mic in a cupboard so I can check it again if I do get an XLR mixer.
My guess is that the XLR output will be fine and the mic will be perfectly functional as an ordinary dynamic mic. The USB facility is the thing most likely to have failed.
Samson is an ok cheap'n'chearful brand. If it sounds ok, it is ok.
 
Best mic? Again, others more knowledgeable/experienced out there but IMHO couple of things:
  • Presume your Samson was not dropped or otherwise damaged.
  • If just for voice communications e.g. VOIP then cheap one like yours probably is OK.
  • If for singing or music recording then requirements are more demanding; muscians I know (and upgraded/mod'ed mic for) can detect subtle differences in mic responses and sound, generally with mics starting at roughly three to four times the cost of Samson.
  • iow--"You get what you pay for." Not uncommon for studio mics to cost > a thousand bucks.
 
Back
Top Bottom