• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dose of reality from a UPS employee

I haven't seen anyone treat fragile boxes any rougher than the rest. BUT they get handled just the same as any other box. So double boxing is a must, that sticker will not save your package.
 
So far, everything I've got from UPS has been broken, some way or the other, from minor to severe.

So far, USPS, only one item broken.

DHL? So far, good luck- nothing damaged.

FedEx? Same-good luck- nothing damaged.

That said, I wonder if it has more to do with the branches of the shipping companies. I've heard plenty of horror stories about FedEx, USPS, and DHL.

I personally know the local post office, and the local UPS hub. The local UPS hub is brutal, as I've witnessed it in person, as I used to make deliveries for a company I worked for. I made deliveries to the Post Office too, and it was a different beast.

It is unfortunate that the rule seems to make an effort to ship as many packages as possible while accepting a certain damage rate.

Insult to injury is the fact that if you buy insurance, to protect the package, you really have to fight to get it covered, even if packed properly.

There's usually no hope, however, for packages poorly packed.
 
I totally agree with PioneerGuy75 in that it's the damned blatant disresepect that really gets to me. People pay good money to get items delivered safe and sound to them. Unfortunately, the shipping companies couldn't care less.
 
SkyChurch said:
It's not peak season now and I assure you my eyes are not fooling me. I see this everyday doesn't matter if I worked there 2 months or 100 years. All I'm doing is notifying people of the information they deserve, let's face it UPS isn't going anywhere b/c of this thread. And going to management about this problem???? I don't think so. Management is surrounded by this problem and one voice out of hundreds is not going to change the situation. I'm not knocking UPS and I really probably shouldn't have mentioned the company I was working for but I'm sure the system is exactly the same in other companies as well. The intent of this post was strictly to warn those who are just getting into buying stereo equipment over the internet and shipping is a neccesity.


I think you were right to name them. Maybe UPS are no worse than others in the way the handle packages, but at least when things go wrong, in my experience FedEx are willing to accept responsibility. I don't use UPS (see `UPS Horror Story) and strongly advise my customers to avoid them. Most of them do............. Jim.
 
Hi Skychurch,

My UPS rant was not a dig at you; it's the management who cheated my customer. UPS still deliver and collect here (some of my customers have UPS accounts) and their drivers are ok.................................. Jim.
 
If you could see packages go through a ups terminal in full swing, you'd be totally amazed that they went anywhere, let alone where they're supposed to...
 
Definition of insanity

As the old adage goes: "What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting the outcome to change."

It's time to find another shipper! Just stop using UPS. Plain and simple.

Judging from this thread and dozens of others like it, UPS has some problems that they won't address. This won't change. So you and I must change in order to achieve a different (better) outcome.

I've had great success with FedEx and USPS. Try them or some of the others. If a seller insists on using UPS, don't buy anything from them.

It's the only viable option. You won't change UPS, so change to another shipper.
 
All due respects to SkyChurch, I don't like UPS. My route driver has the name of his city tatooed across his chest in a hip-hop faux German font. Do you want this guy coming to your home? No, not me. I always request Fedex. Haven't had a problem yet.
 
thedelihaus said:
So far, everything I've got from UPS has been broken, some way or the other, from minor to severe.
...................................................................................................................................................... I made deliveries to the Post Office too, and it was a different beast.
.................................................................

My EX works for the Post Office. I have been to the local sorting facility. I have seen with my own eyes packages get THROWN ACROSS THE ROOM to land on the floor!

Add to this, the fact, that UPS sends much of it's stuff through the mail. NO LIE!

It's a no win situation. They all SUCK! :yes:

Nothing is how it was or should be. Pride in your work and standing behind your word are extinct things of the past in MOST CASES for MOST HUMANS.

Sad but true.

And I think this is what is behind MOST things wrong today.

Example = 30+ stereo equipment is superior to stuff made now.

I could go on & on, but those who get it, already know and those that don't are in denial or just have not added up the facts.

Best way to combat the shipping issue is to DEMAND things be packaged bullet proof in advance OR DO NOT BUY. Sellers will be forced to do the job right or not make a sale.

This is what I do. But of course, like everything else....it takes everyone demanding things be done right to be effective.
 
SoCal Sam said:
All due respects to SkyChurch, I don't like UPS. My route driver has the name of his city tatooed across his chest in a hip-hop faux German font. Do you want this guy coming to your home? No, not me. I always request Fedex. Haven't had a problem yet.

LOL!
Guess what?
The last FedX drivers (2 of them) that delivered to me were driving an economy rental truck, looked like they had not bathed for a few weeks, smelled of pot and looked like they were mixing ice or crack with the pot they smoked!

OH......I forgot to mention they were kinda toothless and looked like extras from the movie Deliverance, ROTFLMAO!

Like I said..........THEY ALL SUCK! :yes:
 
I don't disagree with or doubt anyone's experiences in this thread but I have to say that my experience with UPS has been exactly the opposite of what we are reading here. I was with Radio Shack as an owner/partner/franchise/joint-venture (or whatever you want to call it) from 1967 through 1993. After that I owned an alarm and telephone interconnect company for the next ten years. I can't begin to estimate how many thousands of packages of all sorts of electronic equipment that I personally have packed and shipped as well as received via UPS over those 35 (Holy Crap:yikes:) years. We shipped and received stereo equipment, computers, radios, parts and components, as well as master cartons of merchandise every day. Some of it was in the factory cartons but a lot of it was not. Equipment going to and from the repair centers rarely came in with the original cartons. Although we did more than half of the repair work in the store, we still shipped a lot of equipment out to the repair centers every day. That is very unusual for a typical Radio Shaft but I chose to do the repair in the store if it was faster or easier to repair the item than it took to pack properly and ship it and , of course, if it was a customer item that needed a quick, service-while-you-wait, turn-around. The Alarm and telephone interconnect company was primarily involved with shipping and receiving of boxed components and equipment from the distributors.

The point of all that background is that I can remember only a very small handful of cases where an item that was damaged in transit could not clearly be attributed to very poor and insufficient packing. Customers stereo equipment was always painstakingly packed, usually by me, with the understanding that it was going to see rougher treatment than I would like to see. Double-boxing a receiver was almost a standard practice. If anyone expects to successfully ship a heavy piece of electronic gear by placing it on the bottom of a cardboard box and filling the box to the top with Styrofoam peanuts is irresponsible. Of course, even a properly packed receiver hitting the floor after a 7 floor fall is likely to be damaged. I just didn't see that kind of damage happening. It's unreasonable to expect something to arrive intact if it is poorly packed in a box that is too small with worthless packing material such as newspaper, used bubble-wrap that has been popped out for fun, 1" of Styrofoam peanuts around heavy items, or simply in a carton that is so overused and worn out that it resembles more of a basketball than a box.

I couldn't be happier with the service that I have received from UPS over all those years. I found them to be very reliable and a pleasure to do business with:thmbsp: . On the occasions that I have used FedEx I found them to be good. The old Purolator-Courier was excellent. DHL on the other hand is horrible! I will never use them for anything.
 
putting fragile on an item is more of death sentence then not.

It gives the person extra reason to handle it badly
 
im a PC tech, and i routinely change hard drives.

funny thing is, they send em via fedex, and send a ups return label with it.

perhaps they know of the problems with ups, and ship with fedex so that the new part arrives safely, but the old part they dont give a damn about...
 
My Wife and I owned and Art gallery and we were waiting on a shipment of Frames. These were being shipped via UPS , well we called and tried to check on them after waiting and waiting ..we got a supervisor who told us.." you aren't going to believe this, but, your box was stepped on by an elephant" we laffed at that and asked for the box anyway, but it was too late. this was in 1994 before we had a PC or internet.
 
The wife shipped a top-quality 5 ply stainless 5 quart pan via USPS a few years ago. For those who don't know, this was about a $250 pan, around 3/8" thick.

It arrived at its destination with a hole punched clear through the bottom!!!

MUST have been a forklift tine at good speed, against what, I can only dream...

Goldenvoice:scratch2:
 
i always wondered why at the post office I'm asked if the item is fragile, and occasionally they additionally ask if I want it to be marked fragile. Well, why on earth wouldn't I?!? Now I understand: the nicer people are giving you an out without explicitly saying, "If I mark this fragile all the handlers will make sure to give it an extra drop kick. Are you SURE you want me to do this?"

That said, USPS is the only shipper that has not destroyed my stuff once.
 
UPS junk

Once upon a time I shipped a real heavy custom built amp I sold on ebay to someone in Canada, I was living in San Jose, Ca. I built a box out of 3/4" plywood (glued and screwed) and lined the inside with heavy foam. Put commercial casters on the bottom and heavy duty handles on the sides. Shipped it UPS insured and when it arrived the buyer said it looked like they dropped it off the truck while it was going 60 mph. Don't ship heavy audio gear.
 
I ship UPS by choice, but there are a couple of locations I try to avoid shipping stuff to. They tell you up front in the literature that putting fragile and glass stickers on the boxes is futile. Although one of my favorite eBay sellers always writes "do not throw" on her packages. FedEx drivers seem to be mainly contract people and I can't even get them to ring the doorbell I installed just for deliveries. UPS always puts the package on the front porch and rings the bell before leaving, FedEx rarely does and leaves the packages by the garage door.

With all that the laws of motion and inertia have not been repealed to the best of my knowledge. High insurance amounts get better results than Fragile stickers.
 
They don't call them United Package Shredders for nothing...

I get several packages a day at work all the time.. thank god my shippers pack well, because the boxes are usually toast when I get them from UPS.. A lot of our servers are shipped UPS... and man are the boxes destroyed... the stuff we get from Fedex usually isn't a whole lot better, but usually not as often..
 
I disagree with anyone who says the item should not be able to move at all within the packaging. Especially the individual who said "It's the sudden stops that cause damage."

Double boxing CAN be difficult. Some of the amps and receivers we ship are extremely large and heavy items. Finding inner boxes that can be lined with foams, and then finding an even larger box that can also accomodate the inner box as well as another layer of packing can be really challenging.

Most times I single box, with hard 2" thick STIFF foam lining the walls of the box. This provides integrity for THE BOX. I also use corner stiffeners made of very thick cardboard. The item itself? I'll put a layer of that foam wrap that a lot of equipment comes new in. Then a couple layers of STIFF bubble wrap. The last thing is as much SOFT foam as possible between the bubble wrapped item and the stiff foam that lines the box. You want to ELIMINATE the sudden stops that result from an 8 foot drop. A layer of soft foam allows the item to "bounce" just the slightest bit within the box, and the 2" thick stiff foam lining the box prevents the box itself from being punctured by the item.

At the risk of putting bad juju on myself, I will admit to never having a problem with anything I shipped UPS. I digress. A million years ago I shipped Russman a Pioneer cd player. The plastic lens came off. I just recently shipped a Pioneer SX-850 to nickrobotron. The speaker "A" indicator light was inop when it reached his location. It worked when it left here. I'll take that and think that Nick will too. I can't make that statement regarding items others (Yes, some from right here at AK!) packed and shipped to me by carriers other than UPS.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom