• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Double stacking KLH Six - Opinions any one?

lordfoo

Active Member
I have very positive experience with a double stacked Large Advents.
I also have positive experience with a pair of KLH Six speakers.

There's another pair of KLH six available near me.

Any opinions or suggestions on double stacking the KLH Six?

Foo
 
Register to hide this ad
Any opinions or suggestions on double stacking the KLH Six?
Look for past posts here on stacking KLH 23s, which are very similar to the 6s. You'll find some opinions that they sound very good stacked when connected in parallel or to two parallel amplifiers. Connected in series and the sound turns foul quickly.

- JP
 
Just the way the load has changed.
With a guitar amp - a 2 x 12 in parallel & a 2 x 12 in series sounds totally different.

Steve
 
Funny you should ask. After the Abso!ute Sound article on the Double Advent setup took the audionutter world by storm, I got an extra pair of Sixes and stacked 'em up and powered 'em with my Dyna 400. I remember blowing a fuse in the Dyna by trying to play "Honky Tonk Women" at concert levels, but before that it was very clean. Stereo imaging may suffer a bit, but it'll be fun fun fun.
 
Thanks.

Yeah. I set up my own Double advents after reading that Absolute Sound article about a few months. I was so impressed, I've never removed them from my listenting room. (This is sacrilege i think but right now I prefer them over my NS1000m. Yeah, i have lousy musical preferences.)

I've acquired the 2nd pair of KLH six this morning. (69 usd)
Unfortunately, one of the tweeters is not working so i can't stack em yet.

I got the first pair about 2 years ago and have quickly realized that the sixes can't handle the high volume i prefer when listening alone. The woofers go "blok" when i increase the amp volume. However, the music output is really something else.

I am hoping that by stacking the KHL Sixes, I'd get the great sound plus the louder volume possible with four woofers and four tweeters in parallel.

Hmmm, there was a pair of KLH 23's also in the thrift shop. Much much smaller than the sixes so I let em go.

foo
 
Good luck with it, and remember, the Advent was just an updated Six.

The "blok" sound makes me wonder if you don't just need a bigger amp, though. [UPDATE: Though I now realize this might have been the sound of the woofers hitting their stops, more power is always better, right?]
 
Last edited:
Good luck with it, and remember, the Advent was just an updated Six.

The "blok" sound makes me wonder if you don't just need a bigger amp, though.

Hmmm, you could be right. Okay, i will try shifting amplifiers around.
Would a Sansui AUDXdecate integrated amp be powerful enough?

oct2007068.jpg
Large_advent_no_front_2-1.jpg

Foo
 
Unfortunately, one of the tweeters is not working so i can't stack em yet.
May be a good thing, actually. Disconnect the tweeter in the second one and stack with just the woofers playing (on the bottom, woofers up).

If you find that fixes the "blok," you might be able to make it better, even.... :thmbsp:
 
you probably need to recap the crossovers to get the tweeter working. you can hook the tweeter up directly at minimal level and if you hear sound its good.
 
"you probably need to recap the crossovers to get the tweeter working. you can hook the tweeter up directly at minimal level and if you hear sound its good."

My brod said the tweeter is "open" so he took it with him to see if he can do something about it.


In the meantime...


May be a good thing, actually. Disconnect the tweeter in the second one and stack with just the woofers playing (on the bottom, woofers up).

If you find that fixes the "blok," you might be able to make it better, even.... :thmbsp:

Okay. I did that. Hooked the KLH sixes to a sony vfet in parallel, stacked with tweeters sandwiched by the woofers.

No sound came from the woofer with the damaged tweeter. The woofer sounded okay when the damaged tweeter was connected. Won't the woofer work if the tweeter is not installed?

Still, the three working speakers game me a thrill...Ry Cooder came out great. so did Santana. :banana: Double stacked KLH sixes are nothing like the single pair. No 'blok" came from the woofers even when I increased volume to painful levels.

Can't wait to get that dang tweeter fixed and the caps replaced.
 
No sound came from the woofer with the damaged tweeter. The woofer sounded okay when the damaged tweeter was connected. Won't the woofer work if the tweeter is not installed?
It makes no sense.

If the tweeter is "open," it would not matter if it was installed or not.

If the woofer is working, you should close off the tweeter mounting hole, though.... :yes:

Forget it. I was trying to set you up with a d'Appolito MTM alignment (WTW, actually,) for comparison, but it's not happening with two tweeters operating on one side and only one woofer on the other.... :thumbsdn:
 
I had a KLH23 stack and when powered by a Sansui G-8000 it was pretty amazing for what it was. Not the most detailed sound (I find the tweeters just good, not great) but man it was a sonic wall of fun. Really engaging and would pound it out and still be musical without being obvious.

Thought I would post this as i always found the similarity interesting. KLH23 and Large Advent....

KLH23-Advent-1.jpg


KLH23-Advent-7.jpg


K
 
I have two pairs of KLH 17's.
Might give the double-stacking a try for laughs and giggles?
Steve

As do I. You might not be laughing when you do it, you might be scratching your head wondering how $60 worth of speakers can sound so good.
 
Back
Top Bottom