Hi,
I recently restored my 1st ever tube receiver - an Allied 333 (12wpc). It has 4x 6bm8 tubes in the power amp.. The manual says it can drive 8ohm and 16ohm speakers.
I have 8ohm bookshelf speakers but wondering if I can safely hook it up to 4ohm paradigm monitor 7 towers. The manual for these speakers says they are "8 ohm compatible" which I find truly misleading as I measured 4ohm at the binding posts (!).
I have a question if the same rule applies for tube amps as for solid state in this case - i.e. if you hook up 4ohm speakers to the 8ohm solid state receiver - you may likely overheat it and strain the power section?
Will sound quality be affected anyhow?
Also - are there any considerations about the fact that Allied 333 is over 50 years old (It got new caps but I still run original matsushita tubes!)
Thank you,
-Peter
I recently restored my 1st ever tube receiver - an Allied 333 (12wpc). It has 4x 6bm8 tubes in the power amp.. The manual says it can drive 8ohm and 16ohm speakers.
I have 8ohm bookshelf speakers but wondering if I can safely hook it up to 4ohm paradigm monitor 7 towers. The manual for these speakers says they are "8 ohm compatible" which I find truly misleading as I measured 4ohm at the binding posts (!).
I have a question if the same rule applies for tube amps as for solid state in this case - i.e. if you hook up 4ohm speakers to the 8ohm solid state receiver - you may likely overheat it and strain the power section?
Will sound quality be affected anyhow?
Also - are there any considerations about the fact that Allied 333 is over 50 years old (It got new caps but I still run original matsushita tubes!)
Thank you,
-Peter