• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Drop + Grell OAE1 headphones on sale

tuberadios69

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Drop is offering their Axel Grell designed OAE1 headphone at a whopping discount. Grell is the designer/engineer behind Sennheisers HD580/HD600/HD650 and HD800. He is now out on his own. $129 vs. their usual/previous Drop price of $299 is pretty damn good! I bought a pair and like them for their different sound perspective. Extremely good bass for an open-air design and the sound diffusor in it gives you a unique, almost loudspeaker like sound stage. I do have a few other headphones in which to compare including Sennheiser HD-580, Sennheiser/Drop HD-6xx and the HiFiMan/Drop HE-4xx. I honestly don't listen to my headphones too often since I have a very fine audio system so my initial comments about the Drop+Grell OAE1 come about after just a few sessions listening to them. What I can say is that if you are unhappy with the bass response of your current headphones, then $129 for these unique OAE1 headphones is an absolute steal. More comments to follow . . .
 
Register to hide this ad
Drop has their HiFiMan HE-4XX on sale for $99! That's a hell of a good deal. I bought a pair a couple of years ago from them and love 'em. A bit more open sounding than the Sennheisers I own (HD-580 Precision, HD-6XX (Drop's version). The Drop+Grell OAE-1's have more bass, though.
 
I hope it was okay to post the above info. I do not work for nor get any benefit recommending Drop and their products for sale. I simply think their headphone offerings are a huge bargain.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HB3
Alas, Drop is gone as far as audio products and high-end headphones. They were bought by, I believe, Corsair. Just computer keyboards and computer accessories available it appears. I'm very glad I bought my HifiMan, Sennheiser and Grell collaboration headphones over the past several years. They were all incredible bargains.
 
They are cheap on Amazon every day right now. As of this morning, $57.

That is nuts.

These are not for everybody, but if they are for you, they are really, really good for you.

Some of it is sonic preference (these are warm) and some of it is a matter of head shape, but if those work out for you, you will be rewarded.

The headphone infotainers on YouTube did not like them because they deviate from the Harman target, but if you are willing to experiment, you may be rewarded richly.

Note to self: the headphone infortainers on YouTube are useless.
 
They are cheap on Amazon every day right now. As of this morning, $57.

That is nuts.

These are not for everybody, but if they are for you, they are really, really good for you.

Some of it is sonic preference (these are warm) and some of it is a matter of head shape, but if those work out for you, you will be rewarded.

The headphone infotainers on YouTube did not like them because they deviate from the Harman target, but if you are willing to experiment, you may be rewarded richly.

Note to self: the headphone infortainers on YouTube are useless.
I follow the reviews from the “subjective” objectivist reviewer crowd. Like any other reviewer, learning their preferences matters more than what they write. Otherwise you have no way of interpreting their review. It seems like the Grell phone is an experiment in something other than hitting a preference target. I wasn’t down to try it at $350 or $400, but I’m down to try it at $40-$60.

Mine should be delivered today. $40 all in.
 
I follow the reviews from the “subjective” objectivist reviewer crowd. Like any other reviewer, learning their preferences matters more than what they write. Otherwise you have no way of interpreting their review. It seems like the Grell phone is an experiment in something other than hitting a preference target. I wasn’t down to try it at $350 or $400, but I’m down to try it at $40-$60.

Mine should be delivered today. $40 all in.

The key with these is to give yourself time to get used to them. Brain burn in is a very real thing. Listen to them for a couple of weeks before making judgements. Many of the bad reviews are from people who put them on and made a snap judgement.

When I first put them on, I thought that the commonly used term "wonky" did describe their sound. They are high in bass and have a very reduced treble due to Grell's belief that we don't normally hear sound coming from a tweeter mashed right into our ears. That makes them great for people who primarily listen through speakers.

Start with instrumental music first and then move into vocals. Let me strongly recommend Hermanos Gutiérrez or Oscar Peterson or....

There are still some recordings that do not sound quite right on these, but the majority sound surprisingly natural, in the same way that the HD650 sounds natural. It takes time to let the brain burn in.

If you don't like the way that they sound, you can at least partially bring them to the OAE2 standard by cutting off a portion of the felt disc used to tune the driver. Leave the backing membrane intact.

Some folks find that positioning makes a big difference and I agree that the sound changes a bit, but I just wear mine like regular headphones.
Lastly, make sure that the cable is fully inserted. Apparently, some do not come that way and it is hard to see if it is fully inserted visually. Mine have all been fine, but there are reports.

I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do. Three months in and I could not be happier.
 
Last edited:
They are $67.99 on Amazon, now. The Woot! ($39.99) inventory has been depleted but, even at Amazon's $67.99, they are still a screaming good deal. I'm tempted to buy a second pair but that would just be silly. I use my various 'phones infrequently.
 
I feel like I won the lottery with these headphones at $40. They work with my ears, and they’re not uncomfortable to wear even though they are fully extended and I don’t think I have that big of a head. I move the headphones back on my head to get the drivers closer to my ears, and don’t have any issues that way with the headphones sounded distant or muffled. Never experienced position dependent headphones before.

I don’t think these things are particularly amp dependent. They work just as well off of an Apple dongle as they do with a portable dac/amp, desktop amp, or stereo and home theater receivers. Right now I’m using a portable Sangean HD radio playing the local jazz classical station.

The spatial effects are neat. These do indeed sound outside of the head, even without the aid of a crossfeed circuit. The best example I can think of to describe it is when you’re sitting a little too close to a pair of stereo speakers. You get a soundstage that wraps from your ears to the center of your face, but just doesn’t quite make it all the way to the center. I also have the K701 and the K7XX, which are very soundstagey headphones, but they only extend out to your sides. They can sound really deep to your left and your right, but there’s nothing really in the center. The OAE1’s soundstage makes progress towards the center of your face, but just doesn’t quite make it.

I don’t personally have any issues with the timbre. But I wonder if this is my first long term experience with what’s been referred to as the Sennheiser veil? I’ve heard the HD600/650 in passing but I have never spent a prolonged period listening to them. The way I would describe the OAE1 is that it is a casual and relaxed listen. It doesn’t quite present the music (and all of its flaws potentially) underneath a microscope like other headphones do. Like my AKG K240 DF, and Beyer DT990/ DT 1770 do. The OAE1 on my head, with my ears, makes it just a little easier to just listen to the music, without overanalyzing the music. When comparing headphones and speakers you often hear folks state that headphones are a much more critical way to listen, and I agree. The OAE1 I think achieves its stated mission by replicating the part of the speaker experience where you can just let the music wash over you and you can just enjoy and take it in.

As an aside, Axel Grell has talked about the psychoacoustic tricks the OAE1’s bass boost can play by tricking your body into thinking it actually feels the bass like you would at a live performance. That experience sneaks up on me sometimes. Certainly not when I’m thinking about it. But sometimes I’ll just think I feel a rumble in the pit of my stomach or the tips of my toes, and then just like that it’s gone and I’m listening to headphones again.

Very unique headset. Highway robbery at $40. A steal at $80-$90 or whatever they’re still going for on close out on Amazon. I know they don’t work for everybody, but check the return policy, and if it’s suitable, see for yourself.
 
I would absolutely agree with everything in this post with the exception of the impact of amps. I have tried quite a few and have found that they change quite a bit.

If these work for a listener, they really work.

One of the interesting things about these is that the wide image allows you to look into the recording well, but the warm tuning lets you just take it in rather than being blasted with sonic information.
 
I would absolutely agree with everything in this post with the exception of the impact of amps. I have tried quite a few and have found that they change quite a bit.

If these work for a listener, they really work.

One of the interesting things about these is that the wide image allows you to look into the recording well, but the warm tuning lets you just take it in rather than being blasted with sonic information.
I’ve been pretty happy with their performance off of just the Apple USB-C dongle. I am looking forward to trying the OAE1 with the Fiio KA11 I just got in last night though. Tried it last night with my K701 and it delivers tons of power for a dongle. Looking forward to trying the Grell’s tonight.
 
Back
Top Bottom