• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1019 cartridge

uckabee

New Member
I’ve had this Dual 1019 for over a decade, and am finally needing to replace the stylus. I was able to easily remove the old Shure E T2 stylus, however, it seems that I am missing a part of the cartridge and cannot get it off. Can someone please advise me how to remove it? The little lever does not appear to do anything, and my cartridge has exposed springs, something I haven’t seen on these anywhere I’ve looked. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 83
Register to hide this ad
Yep, that head is missing whats called a “sled”. The little arm moves a lock like piece that pulls the sled up and into the head. Heres my 1229 with the same arrangement:

IMG_5660.jpeg

IMG_5661.jpeg

It’s a “Dual” thing.

Looks like someone has somehow bodged it onto the headshell without the sled. Thats why the locking arm isn’t doing anything.

Unfortunately, you’ll have to figure out how that cartridge is secured to the head shell before it can be removed.

I don’t see anything obvious like through screws in the headshell, so its anyones guess how its in there.

There perhaps might be something that looks like a “cut down” sled in there or a home made sort of sled. Looks like something under the lever. But if its home made, it might not be releasing with the lever or perhaps the lever has been broken somehow and won’t release it.

I’d say you’re just going to have to “poke around” until you find out how the cart is in there…
 
Last edited:
Yep, that head is missing whats called a “sled”. The little arm moves a lock like piece that pulls the sled up and into the head. Heres my 1229 with the same arrangement:

View attachment 3122859

View attachment 3122860

It’s a “Dual” thing.

Looks like someone has somehow bodged it onto the headshell without the sled. Thats why the locking arm isn’t doing anything.

Unfortunately, you’ll have to figure out how that cartridge is secured to the head shell before it can be removed.

I don’t see anything obvious like through screws in the headshell, so its anyones guess how its in there.

There perhaps might be something that looks like a “cut down” sled in there or a home made sort of sled. Looks like something under the lever. But if its home made, it might not be releasing with the lever or perhaps the lever has been broken somehow and won’t release it.

I’d say you’re just going to have to “poke around” until you find out how the cart is in there…
image.jpg
Here’s another pic if that helps you figure out what happened here
 
Yeah, you can see the "cam lock" on the lever arm (or lifter arm if you prefer) so there's no sled at all there.

I've never seen a cartridge mount like that (ie: springs and a pivot), but maybe someone else has.

The lock arm and it's cam are held to the post by a circlip in a stock setup.

Looking closely at your picture, it looks like someone has made (I'd bet on it being something modified from something else to fit the Dual head-shell by the looks of it) a sheet metal bracket that holds that cartridge to go up and under the lever arm and then reinstalled that circlip to hold it all together. Unless something else was modified in the head-shell, that's what I'd bet on was done to it.

If that were my table, I'd disconnect those springs at the front and it looks like the cartridge will swing down. That should let you see if the circlip is there. IF it is, it looks like removing the circlip will allow the whole works to drop away from the head-shell.

be careful removing springs and circlips because they often like to make a break for it when popped off and they almost always disappear into a parallel dimension, never to be seen again.

I think I'd be more worried about how to get that back together than taking it apart. That "bracket" is likely pretty tight in there under the circlip and may need to be "compressed" to get it back together under that circlip. That introduces a good probability of breaking something.

Putting it back to OEM probably means buying a used head-shell and sled in order to getting it in working order again.

I'd also be concerned about what the tone arm wiring is going to look like when that's removed. The OEM dual wiring uses a small "circuit board" that the tone arm wiring connects to and then the sled has spring loaded pins that make contact with traces on that board.

Given the level of "DIY" that there appears to be done to get that cartridge in there (even though it looks like it was done somewhat well), you might be stuck with having to reinstall that specific cartridge.

Sounds like its going to be a PITB no matter which way you go....
 
Last edited:
Hold on a tick, it seems that cartridge is something built like that. There's a 1019 wih the same one here: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/check-out-my-new-dual-1019-w-m75e-d19.759012/

If you look closely at his cart pics:

Untitled.jpg

you can see the same sheet metal type bracket. It seem the "sled" looking portion is around the bracket and might have just been removed from yours somehow.

Here's a Shure pdf on it on the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/2011052...ts/webcontent/us_pro_m80e_ug_27a425(1-68).pdf

So maybe the locking cam on the lever is just broken off or stripped so it doesn't release the cartridge when rotated.....that will be a pain!
 
Last edited:
Try placing a thumb on the sled on the front and gently pinching the sled into the headshell while simultaneously moving the lock backwards. Sometimes the can get lodged in pretty tight and the aforementioned pinching motion helps to release the sled form the headshell.
 
and then the sled has spring loaded pins that make contact with traces on that board.
That's not how OEM 1019 sleds work. The originals have silver-plated, stamped, leaf-spring like contacts. The new sleds produced by Best Audio (and perhaps others) use the spring loaded pins. The originals are easier and smoother to install, BTW, 'though the pins are probably less troublesome. The silver plating on the originals tarnishes easily.
 
That's not how OEM 1019 sleds work. The originals have silver-plated, stamped, leaf-spring like contacts. The new sleds produced by Best Audio (and perhaps others) use the spring loaded pins. The originals are easier and smoother to install, BTW, 'though the pins are probably less troublesome. The silver plating on the originals tarnishes easily.
meh, pins or leafs, makes no difference to the OP issue…thats picking “flystuff” out of the pepper.
 
The “sled” is the part holding the cartridge. The plastic surrounding looks to be broken off. Those shells were crappy even new. Most of my 1000 series Duals I own have new shells by BEST. Just did my 1009SK new BEST with Shure M91ED. Try pushing the chrome handle back to release that spring disaster. The new shells are great. Retire it and get this.
 

Attachments

  • 76955585-D717-4BB8-9FD4-ED09F002B006.jpeg
    76955585-D717-4BB8-9FD4-ED09F002B006.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 27
Some years ago, I read a thread somewhere, might have been on AK, concerning a turntable / cartridge combo for use onboard a ship. I remember a photo showing the cartridge with springs and I thought the turntable in question was a Dual.
 
Anybody using the Audio-Technica AT-VM 95 cartridges on their Dual 1019? I just ordered one for my 1019. I plan to use it with my Sony STR-6050 receiver, and my Phase Tech Euro Monitors. I have a Shure N 44-7 installed presently.
 
Anybody using the Audio-Technica AT-VM 95 cartridges on their Dual 1019? I just ordered one for my 1019. I plan to use it with my Sony STR-6050 receiver, and my Phase Tech Euro Monitors. I have a Shure N 44-7 installed presently.
Both are good options. I tend to like the shure carts, but the at cart 95 series is fine. I keep a conical (blue) stylus $30ish dollars for records that are a bit rougher. All the styli will swap onto the body.
 
Another reason I gave up on different Duals and went with a Miracord 50H for a few years. I know this isn't helping the situation, but that is one of the many reasons I warn people about the headaches of owning Dual TT's. All in all changers and automatics can be a constant cause for worry. Just stick with manuals.

I wonder how many records you have compromised from the stylus that has passed its prime?
 
Another reason I gave up on different Duals and went with a Miracord 50H for a few years. I know this isn't helping the situation, but that is one of the many reasons I warn people about the headaches of owning Dual TT's. All in all changers and automatics can be a constant cause for worry. Just stick with manuals.

I wonder how many records you have compromised from the stylus that has passed its prime?
The stylus is getting about to the first sign of wear flats. Remember this Dual is played far less often than the Technics daily driver. Which gets styli changed far more often. The Dual is well maintained, and in top condition. I have manual, this Dual and the other Technics are secondary turntables. And I am getting low on genuine Shure styli for the M-44.
 
I’ve had this Dual 1019 for over a decade, and am finally needing to replace the stylus. I was able to easily remove the old Shure E T2 stylus, however, it seems that I am missing a part of the cartridge and cannot get it off. Can someone please advise me how to remove it? The little lever does not appear to do anything, and my cartridge has exposed springs, something I haven’t seen on these anywhere I’ve looked. Thanks!
Did you ever manage to get if off? I just got a 1019 and it had the same exact spring deal
 
Back
Top Bottom