• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1019 motor doesn't shut off! Anyone know a fix?

Rey1

Super Member
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a Dual 1019. Seems like everything works as it should, however when the tonearm returns and sets down the plinth keeps turning. When I move the lever to stop, the tonearm raises and lowers, and it looks like it's going to shut down, but the plinth just keeps spinning. If anyone has any idea what may cause this I would appreciate the info.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
This is a usual result of all the old grease which thickens and hardens causing the auto shut off mechanism to fail to operate. The 1019 needs to be cleaned up (in terms of clearing old lubrication grease and redoing) to ensure proper operation. It is not hard and does not take very long and easily source-able lubricants are available. Go to vinylengine.com, register and get the service manual which outlines the required lubrication. I did mine without the manual since it is really quite obvious where the offending grease sits.

Hope this helps.
 
OK,
I completely re-lubed it and it still does it. The problem is in the arm that moves the idler wheel away from the platter. Even after re-lube the arm is stiff. If I move the arm manually everything turns off. When I move the start switch, the arm moves the idler to the platter and starts the motor, but it will not return and move the idler away with the stop switch. Any suggestions?
 
By Jove! I've got it!

In case anyone has a similar issue, there is a small screw on the arm that must have worked itself tight. Some elbow grease later and the arm glided back into place! Now on to the audio!
 
Excellent! This is what it takes with some of the older tables - just a step back and some investigation - well worth it in my opinion.

Enjoy the 1019 - it is a fine table when it is set up properly and is capable of performance far beyond its appearance.
 
Hey Rey1. What did you use for lubricant. I started a thread on this subject and am trying to get as many opinions as I can before lubing my 1019. Seems to be quite a difference of opinions. Everything from silicone grease to lithium grease to automotive bearing grease to Phono Lube and some harder to come by products. Could be that any of these would be fine.
 
Last edited:
JohnMac,

I used Lithium Grease where ever a grease was called for. I think this is reasonable because the table will not see heavy use and I can re-lube in a couple of years anyway. I probably would have used some silicon grease if I had any. For the oils I used some of the oils provided from a lube kit I got online a couple of years ago for my 1218. The kit worked good on the 1218, but only a couple of the materials were called for on the 1019. If you want the online reference I can probably track it down. Does anyone know how to oil the motor? I can not find an oil hole. Does it need to be taken apart?
 
I used a axle-type grease for the sliders and such. For the motor I used a very fine turntable bearing oil, not unlike sewing machine oil. All of my choices seem to have been ok so far after about a year.
 
I used Singer sewing machine oil for the platter bearing but wonder if that's too light. Some recommend a light multi-weight motor oil.
 
It is crucial to remove all the original lubricant. This step is often omitted, or perhaps the owner removes some of the more obvious hardened grease, but not all.

* * * * *

The shutoff system on the 1019 involves a long, pivoted actuator bar mounted on a pivot bearing next to the cycling cam. One end of this actuator goes to the motor power switch AND it couples to the speed selector. If either (or both) the speed selector or the actuator pivot bearing are gummed up, the motor will have difficulty shutting off.

Both the speed selector assembly and the pivot bearing for the actuator require some disassembly to clean and lubricate properly.

* * * * *

Good luck with this!

Fred
 
I hooked her up and I have one channel out. I'm hoping some deoxit and emory cloth will fix that. Anyone have any advice on oiling the motor?
 
You may need to check the contacts on the two part headshell. They tend to get a layer of corroision on them. You'll need to be very careful cleaning then as the little plastic nubs that hold them in place can be pretty brittle. I once had to super glue a couple of them back on. You could try a cleaner but it may reguire some mechanical cleaning. Maybe a pencil eraser. Good luck.
 
Back
Top Bottom