• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1019 question

Normo

Well-Known Member
Can a dual 1019 be tweaked up to perform nearly as well as .or just as well as a 1219? If you made a heavier plinth, damped the platter, and any other things that you pro's out there like Seth, Bohhey and Fred do? I am curious because I have 3 1019s I have picked up and wonder how good they can get? Any comments? Hey, if I had the bucks we could do a 1019 "throw down" and I'd send each of you a TT to tweak. (just kidding) Thanks Norm
 
Register to hide this ad
I am not a restoration expert as others are, I just listen to a lot of vinyl. I had a 1019 and a 1219 side by side for awhile. Switched a Shure and Audio Technica cartridge back and forth over several weeks. I found no consistent sound difference. The longer arm of the 1219 gives it a physical advantage, but I could not hear it.
It came down to the way they felt and operated. The 1219 I have [ I understand this was changed later ] kicks the platter on when the arm is moved over the platter, I do not like that. The 1019 has both manual and auto functions. I also prefer the feel of the 1019, the 1219 felt just a touch "cheaper" when used side by side. I believe the 1219 has a couple of wear prone parts the 1019 does not have, so the 1019 maybe more durable.
In summation, the 1219 went back in the closet. My mass added, springs removed 1019 with a Shure M97xe was the winner.
I am also curious to read the opinions of the gentlemen here that are actual Dual mechanics. Again all this is MY opinion.
 
I happen to think that the Dual 1019 is a wonderful turntable. As you know, I no longer pay attention to published specs. If you use one of those newfangled eliptical needle thingies, a longer arm might reduce record wear, but this is only conjecture on my part. Just be certain the idler is soft and the motor isn't too worn. Then go for it. The last 1019 that I fixed had factory-installed lead weights to reduce chassis resonance. I guess that it was one that got by the cheap a**holes at United Audio, who, as you know, refused to pay extra to ship that extra weight.

Seth
Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop
 
It has been reported here on AK that the 1019 platter is the heaviest platter on the 10xx and 12xx series. That would be a plus for sure.
 
Oddly, one of the most significant differences between the 1219/1229 and the 1019 concerns the idler wheel.

In more than thirty years of repairing these machines I have only encountered one or two bad and unrestorable 1219/1229 idlers. On the other hand, I've encountered scads of bad 1019 idlers. They tend to turn into something "geological," with the result that the platter takes forever to come up to speed and the set will often stall during cycling.

As far as the arms, the 1019 arm does not work real well on most high-compliance, light-tracking cartridges -- although, if you have a Shure or Stanton with a quality brush/damper, it will work quite well. A good test is to play a record with a pinch warp (bump) near the edge. Watch it track the bump, and see how long the arm shimmies afterwards.

Most of the headshells for the 1019 have to be rebuilt. Each lead wire has two crimps, one at the connection to the spring contacts that mate with the arm and the other at the pushon that goes to the cartridge. These oxidize and cause signal loss. When I rebuild these headshells, I bypass the crimps and solder directly to the (burnished) metal. Also the little plastic nubs that hold the spring contacts in place tend to break off. I always reinforce the nubs with epoxy.

Hope this is useful.

Fred Longworth
 
My two favorite turntables 1019/1219 (well my Lenco L75 is in there too). I'm not sure if there is a difference in the motor design but I was able to get the 1019 motor totally silent, was able to get the 1219 fairly quiet but not totally silent (did a complete teardown clean up lube on both). The cartridge holders in both were a challenge - must be really clean to work well but once there the ability to just drop the cartridge holder and do a cartridge swap or better yet get a second one is really priceless - just try to do a fast cartridge swap on a rega tonearm! To be honest I go back and forth as to which is the best. right now listening to the 1210 with a Shure M91 ed - Marantz 27 and Paradigm Atoms (my office setup) Wonderful
 
Fred, Thanks for your answer, Just in your opinion, and I realize it is your opinion, do you think the 1019 can be brought up to a high level, with minimal to no background noise, great tracking and sound? I kind of get the feeling that you think it is a fine table but not up to the 12** series. Are they worth invesing time and money into? Thanks again, Norm
 
Back
Top Bottom