• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1219 Skipping

David_NC

Super Member
All went well with the cleaning and relubricating the mechanism in my 'new' 1219. It went from motor running but no platter movement, no controls working, etc to very smooth operation of all levers, cue, speed right on spec (according to a printed strobe disc), etc.

I know it needs a new Steuerpimpel, as the original wasn't working. More pressing is the fact that there is too much friction in the tonearm for it to play causing skipping. Reading several threads on it, it looks like much of the tonearm assembly needs to be removed and cleaned. At this point, to risk damaging anything or losing any parts, I think I'm ready to turn this over to a pro. I'm sure I CAN do this, as I'm good with this sort of thing and can certainly follow instructions. I really don't have a good workspace that I can leave it and return to work on it.

I guess my questions are what is the best current source of Steuerpimpels? I see references to many, see them on eBay, etc but I'd rather just make a purchase once. Also, I'm looking for someone to service this unit in the LA / Orange County area. Surely there's someone here in SoCal that can handle this. I'd be willing to ship it, but the cost and risk of that is a bit much.

Thanks for any and all help.
 
Register to hide this ad
Fixmydual is in Iowa. I understand you are reluctant to ship it. Maybe they can recommend someone in your area. Post your query on other forums as well. Best of luck. Duals are great.
 
I understand the reluctance to ship, but, you CAN ship a turntable if properly packaged.
 
Fixmydual is in Iowa. I understand you are reluctant to ship it. Maybe they can recommend someone in your area. Post your query on other forums as well. Best of luck. Duals are great.
I used Fixmydual. First, he does not require you include the platter or counterweight. He apparently has a stock of his own to use. That saves a lot of weight and saves possible damage to the main thrust bearing. I shipped my 1229Q locked down to its base. I took a large piece of cardboard from an old carton and made a new "cover" to protect the tonearm. The dimensions were such that the cardboard fit into the slot between the turntable base and the wood base. The cover shown here was actually made for my 1019 that has the same size base as the 1219. Yes, I'm a Dual fan; 1019, 1219, 1229Q, 704, 721.

1219 1.jpg 1219 2.jpg
 
Fixmydual is in Iowa. I understand you are reluctant to ship it. Maybe they can recommend someone in your area. Post your query on other forums as well. Best of luck. Duals are great.
If I do end up shipping it, this is likely where it'd go.

There sure as hell is a completely competent mechanic out there in Kalifornia.

Fred Longworth.
I'll look him up.

I understand the reluctance to ship, but, you CAN ship a turntable if properly packaged.
Oh I know that. Let me rephrase; I'm reluctant to ship it when there may not be a real need to. After all, there seem to be a lot of Duals here, and with the huge population, I'd think there'd be a decent repair place / person relatively nearby.
 
Back
Top Bottom