• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DUAL 1219 Tonearm Cycle Prob.

richaudio

New Member
I installed a new guide on a Dual 1219 trntbl but the tonearm still will not cycle. I cleaned off all grease. When I look at the lever surface under the guide that the the guide slides on it looks worn and polished like the guide can't grip. Is there anything to put on this surface so the guide can grip?
 
Register to hide this ad
Search Steuerpimple or clutch pad and you'll find out it's a common problem.

There's a little plastic pad on the end of the shaft that has rotted away so there's nothing to engage the arm to return it. There's a plethora of fixes ranging from ballpoint pen parts to coaxial wire insulation and even glue blobs, but you need to get something there to get a grip.
 
Yep mine has a new pimpel and still it isn't cycling correct. It had the original and I put another one on from a donor unit. Sometimes will go slightly over then will quickly comeback.
 
It has to be just the right length, which I don't know off the top of my head. If the clearance isn't right the engagement isn't proper and wacky things happen.
 
Yep mine has a new pimpel and still it isn't cycling correct. It had the original and I put another one on from a donor unit. Sometimes will go slightly over then will quickly comeback.


This is because the linkage to the actual power switch is in need of adjustment-too much tension on the arm, so it springs back to the armrest.
 
Not talking about the pimple or guide but the surface it slides on. That surface is worn smooth so the guide won't grip. Is there anything to put on the surface so the guide will grip? thanx
 
This is because the linkage to the actual power switch is in need of adjustment-too much tension on the arm, so it springs back to the armrest.

Ok thanks, will that be in the service manual? Sorry to ask so many questions. Richaudio is yours doing this as well or are you having no movement at all?
 
Yep mine has a new pimpel and still it isn't cycling correct. It had the original and I put another one on from a donor unit. Sometimes will go slightly over then will quickly comeback.


This is because the linkage to the actual power switch is in need of adjustment-too much tension on the arm, so it springs back to the armrest.

Surface too smooth? Sandpaper really doesn't work.

Try a small adjustment of the screw on the actuator arm. Puts more tension on the clutch.
 
The arm that moves the tonearm has an adjustment screw on its gear end.

Ok thanks I will check it out. I think I should just save my money up and send it too you to fix. It looks brand new but has the tonearm issue and motor isn't coming up to speed. On 78 it is is at 33. Will adjusting this possibly help richaudio as well?
 
Ok thanks I will check it out. I think I should just save my money up and send it too you to fix. It looks brand new but has the tonearm issue and motor isn't coming up to speed. On 78 it is is at 33. Will adjusting this possibly help richaudio as well?

Thank you.

Your speed issue is from a gummed-up speed adjustment assembly that needs a tear-down for proper repair.

Adjust the screw slowly, and just a bit. I said "Just a bit."
It may help you both.
 
Also, your sticking speed control can negatively affect arm movement as well.
Everything is linked together.
 
Back
Top Bottom