• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1229 or Garrard Zero 100 ??

If you were buying an antique car and choosing between British and German . . .

In general, the workmanship and materials on all but the highest-end Garrards leaves plenty to be desired. And there's a reason nobody else bothered with an arm like those on the Zeros.

Duals had their design flaws (like the crazy accordion pitch adjustment on the belt drive models) but in general they're more solidly built.
 
My family had a Zero 100. The first one, when you looked at the tonearm head, it was crooked. Had to shim it it make it straight. Shouldn’t have to do that for a $139.95 turntable. That was expensive. Thru lots of hemming and hawing and letter writing, Garrard authorized an exchange with our local shop.

Yes, lots of friction and not to mention mass.

I have a 1229 in my collection and love it.
 
I'm not super keen on 1200 series Duals. Although I do own a 701 which is kinda sorta from the same era. Not a changer but it does accept 1200 series cartridge carriers.

Since they were what I aspired to in the 1960's, I prefer Dual's 1000 series starting with the 1009. I may have just finished doing battle with an original 1009 that began last fall. A Zero 100 or Elac has never taken me that long to put right. A week or two of picking away at those on a daily basis was sufficient. The 1009 was a well worn beast, but I think it lives again.

It turned me off somewhat to see Dual had opted for a plastic speed change mechanism on the 1200's including 1229's. And I've seen a fair few examples with broken switch levers. My opinion is 1200 series tables were not as robust as those that preceded it.

Zero 100's speed changers are metal and it's almost too bad Garrard did not build them to play 78's. I enjoy mine immensely and it sees the most use among six other turntables. But I plan putting the 1009 into service this weekend so that may change.

I've got 1960's vintage Empire and Shure cartridges that I'm itching to hear again on a period correct turntable.
 
Uh-oh, there's a 100s up on an auction site over here... A bit tempted to drop a bid. But would probably mean getting into a world of trouble... But those golden buttons and cool tonearm sure are purdy... Please somebody stop me!
 
Put in a low max bid for the heck of it. Chances are there'll not be much competition. If you don't drop a ton, you won't get in dutch too bad.
 
It turned me off somewhat to see Dual had opted for a plastic speed change mechanism on the 1200's including 1229's. And I've seen a fair few examples with broken switch levers. My opinion is 1200 series tables were not as robust as those that preceded it.
I thought that was only the 122x not the 121x. I don't have personal experience though, I have a 1019 and a 1229Q, no 1219.
 
Back
Top Bottom