• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1229 vs Dual 1249 : what will you choose for daily/heavy duty use ?

liemjerry

Well-Known Member
Dual 1229 VS Dual 1249, which one would you choose if you would use it for a long time, daily usage, and a little hard work?

What is the comparison of the mechanical quality between the two? and of course what is the comparison of the tonearm quality between the two?

thank you and please input
 
Register to hide this ad
I bought a new 1249 in 1975 and used it exclusively for almost 40 years. I bought a used 1229 on CL about 6 years ago. Both were sent out to be restored about the same time. I used them both for a while after that before selling the 1249. I still use the 1229 every day. I have 3 other tables but the 1229 gets the most use. As I'm sure you are aware, the 1249 is belt drive, while the 1229 is idler drive. Each drive system has its pros and cons but I kept the one I liked the best. Mechanically they are equal in my opinion, regardless of the drive system. The tonearms are nearly identical in function. Basically, the 1249 is a belt drive version of the 1229. The difference being that the (3 speed) 1229 will also play 78's where the (2 speed) 1249 will not. The 1249 has a slightly higher wow and flutter, and the 1229 has a much heavier platter.

http://web.archive.org/web/20160707035836/http://www.dual-reference.com:80/tables/1229.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20160309001550/http://dual-reference.com/tables/1249.htm
 
I would have to agree with the others, and pick the 1229. Other than the drive system (as carl mentioned), they are very similar tables. What really tips the scale for me is the relative number of units still out there for each model. There are a lot more 1229's out there than 1249's. So for long-term, and "heavy-duty" usage, the availability of parts and service is going to favor the 1229. Sometimes it is far better to own something that is more "common" than something that is not.
 
There are a lot more 1229's out there than 1249's. So for long-term, and "heavy-duty" usage, the availability of parts and service is going to favor the 1229.

Good point...

@liemjerry Your other thread was moved to Dollars and Sense (not by me) because it contained a question of value.
 
In this case I would go for the 1229. I think that the tonearms are very similar, same effective length 222mm.

Never had a 1249, but it looks to me that the 1229 has a better motor and a heavier platter, a bonus you get when you chose the idler route.

Although you might even consider the 1019. It is the most overbuilt turntable made by Dual. It has a shorter tonearm (204mm) but it has a better platter and motor.
 
I have to admit that until I read this thread I had never met an audiophile that respected idler drive at all, other than as a vintage curiosity.
 
I have to admit that until I read this thread I had never met an audiophile that respected idler drive at all, other than as a vintage curiosity.

A lot of people are just not familiar with them, as they kind of "disappeared" in the 70's. It's like anything else--it's a matter of "execution"--there are great and crappy examples of all three primary drive systems.
 
A lot of people are just not familiar with them, as they kind of "disappeared" in the 70's. It's like anything else--it's a matter of "execution"--there are great and crappy examples of all three primary drive systems.
That explains it. My entry into hi-fi was when I built my Dynaco 400 back in 1975. I sold hi-fi between 76 and 82 and idler meant BSR or Garrard. EVERYTHING of quality at that time was belt or DD. I figured Idler had died long ago.
 
A lot of people are just not familiar with them, as they kind of "disappeared" in the 70's. It's like anything else--it's a matter of "execution"--there are great and crappy examples of all three primary drive systems.
Check out the prices on the Garrard 301.
Also, check the following for Rek-O-Kut.
 
I think it was also because a belt drive is a much simpler design compared to an idler drive. Which means extra profit for the manufacturer.
 
My 1219 which is very similar to the 1229 is a solid idler TT. If you get one, get it serviced if it needs to be. If the rubber idler wheel is more than 7-10 years old, get a new refurbished one, don't screw around with sanding ect. Make sure the tonearm single/multi lever moves freely. Beings you are in Indonesia I would not buy a Dual if no expert local service is available. Make sure all functions work if you have not already bought it.
 
Last edited:
I would go with the belt drive 1249. Less sensitive for rumble from old idler wheel and maintenance is easier when comparing working it (belt is easier to find and replace than idler wheel).
Rest of the TT is pretty much the same (great tone arm).
I would guess a 1249 is cheaper than the 1219 too since there's a bit of a hype around the idler Duals going on.
I myself could not afford the 1019, 1219, 1229 that came out for sale here in Sweden. Then a 601 (pretty much an early 1249) came along and was much cheaper.
 
The 1219/1229s were much heavier than a 1249. Rescued a 1249 from the landfill several years ago. Was not overly impressed with it. Though I did not fix it. Knowing what I know now I would have kept it. For its motor. Build quality wasn’t as good as a 1229. Like everyone here go for a 1229. Once gone over a 1229 will serve you well. Got three 1219s. Two see daily use. The one you see in my avatar ran 4 yrs. its motor started making a noise. Since I had it apart previously, it came apart easily this time for a cleaning and lube.

Personally I have settled in on the 1219. Have owned several 1229 with no issues. Ended up as trade bait for something else. Two of my 1219s are early models. The cue doesn’t work on multi play with tall spindles. Later 1219 and 1229s were re-engineered allowing the cue to work. My 3 1219s all have different bases. You could write book on them. Pictured <<<< is German built version with a flip down door. Later 1219. They also made a German built base without the flip down door. The last one has a United Audio base. It’s kind of crappy. Performance is good on all three.

My last reason for going with a 1229 versus a 1249 is durability. Fixed up a later 1219 that shares the motor and drive train with 1229s. Cosmetically, it was kind of sad. Mechanically it was perfect. Couldn’t really sell it privately. My friend at the record store got it and another mint 1219 as a bundle. They use it every day playing music through the store. They are open 6 days a week. Had it almost a year. Replace the cart with a Shure M91. They wore out the stylus. Still runs great. Have fun.
 
One thing I forgot to mention/ask.

How are the 1229/1219 platters holding up? Have read a couple of posts about the 1019 having some platter issues (some of those had a severe warp).

Cant remember reading the same about the 1219/1229.
 
One thing I forgot to mention/ask.

How are the 1229/1219 platters holding up? Have read a couple of posts about the 1019 having some platter issues (some of those had a severe warp).

Cant remember reading the same about the 1219/1229.
Got a 1019, 1219, 1229Q. Platters are perfect on all three.
 
See signature. A 1229 with a Shure V15 III is music to my ears. Bill in Iowa restored my 1229q a decade ago, and has NEVER failed me.
 
I refurbished and used a 1249 for about a dozen years but my first DUAL, in 1973, was a 1219. Earlier this year I sold the 1249 and started using a 1229 that I have also refurbished. Both are excellent turntables but the 1229 is more solidly constructed and has a certain je ne sais quoi that the 1249 doesn't possess. I'm thoroughly happy with the 1229: its performance is rock solid with no audible rumble and vanishing levels of wow and flutter. I also own a belt-drive and a direct-drive turntable, both highly regarded models, and I prefer the Dual. My refurb consisted of: adjusting the tonearm bearings to spec; replacing the idler with a new one; replacing the steurepimpel; and giving the machine a thorough cleaning and relube.

I've also owned a 1019, which is a superb machine when it's all sorted out.

My original 1219 was destroyed in 1975 by the US Navy's shippers, who seeming dropped it from a great height. In the meantime I've probably had 25 different turntables (I had a repair and resell business for many years). Now that I've retired I've basically gone back to where I started.
 
My 1219 which is very similar to the 1229 is a solid idler TT. If you get one, get it serviced if it needs to be. If the rubber idler wheel is more than 7-10 years old, get a new refurbished one, don't screw around with sanding ect. Make sure the tonearm single/multi lever moves freely. Beings you are in Indonesia I would not buy a Dual if no expert local service is available. Make sure all functions work if you have not already bought it.

Dual 1229 I plan to buy from a friend's attack which the merchant can't actually say, but he has many favorite turntables such as Thorens 124,125, Sondek LP12 Linn, Garrard 301,401, several Lenco L75, L78 Lenco and various other things. He is not a Dual expert, but he is a perfectionist, doing the best he can and researching something as thoroughly as possible.
Honestly, I can count on it, if there is something less he says less. But I think even without Dual special experts in Indonesia / here I think he really understands how it works, and I see it's not too difficult especially the old turntables like this use 90% mechanics and the rest are just small ramps and transformers and motors. The rest is a mechanical maintenance problem
 
Back
Top Bottom