• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1241

Fast_Eddie

Upper-middle fi
Hi All,

I picked up a Dual 1241 today. It's in amazingly good condition and works like the day it was made. It has a Shure cart and a stylus that seems to be in quite good condition.

Here is a bit of info about it:

http://www.compassnet.com/concept/tables/1241.htm

I'm considering using my Ortofon Super OM10 in it, but I can't figure out how to get the cart out. I assume some part of the headshell comes loose. Can anyone help me figure it out?

Also curious as to what the "CD4" thing on the anti skate control means.

Thanks in advance,

Ed
 
Register to hide this ad
To remove the headshell, try pushing the finger lift rearwards. It acts as a latch to hold the headshell in place as well as being the finger lift.
 
wcarroll said:
To remove the headshell, try pushing the finger lift rearwards. It acts as a latch to hold the headshell in place as well as being the finger lift.

Woo Hoo! That was it!

Thanks a ton. I never would have figured that out.

Looks like the cart is a Shure M91ED. I'll have to do some research on that, but it sounds pretty good. Not quite as nice as the ADC on my Garrard, but pretty nice.

Take care,

Ed
 
Ed,

The CD4 setting on the anti-skate is/was for styli that came with cartridges meant to track the RCA quadraphonic records in the seventies.

These records had the two front channels engraved normally and the two rear channels modulating a carrier contained in the grooves. I think the carrier frequency was about 45 kHz. so the stylii had to be able to track up to this freq. This system was actually the same idea as FM stereo radio.

The first CD4 stylus was the Shibata and other similar ones followed. These were all an approach like the line-contact styli of today. A large vertical contact area and a small horizontal area. Thus enabling the stylus to track smaller undulations in the groove.

The anti-skate for these styli needs to be different than elliptical or conical because the frictions involved are different. My BIC 1000 also has a reference setting for CD4.

Quite an engineering feat even though the system didn't always work as claimed (trouble with the carrier being tracked and the demodulation of the audio freqs).

There are however, to this day, devotees of the CD4 system among the quad fans.

Doug (who loved my quad setup back then until the rear speakers came crashing down because the wire I had suspended them with from the ceiling fatigued) :tears:

Luckily no one was underneath them when this happened :)
 
Thanks for the info. I have to say, after several hours, I love this TT and this cart. I'm always amazed when I get a cart from a thrift store that's not damaged beyond hope. This thing sounds great.

Take care,

Ed
 
I have a Dual 1237 with a Shure M91ED. I just picked up a new stylus for it from the Needle Doctor. It sounds nice.
 

Attachments

  • Dual 1237 and friends.JPG
    Dual 1237 and friends.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 29
Doug G. said:
These records had the two front channels engraved normally and the two rear channels modulating a carrier contained in the grooves. I think the carrier frequency was about 45 kHz. so the stylii had to be able to track up to this freq. This system was actually the same idea as FM stereo radio.
The carrier frequency was 30kHz. that was frequency modulated +/- 15kHz. which would require bandwidth to 45kHz.
 
Back
Top Bottom