• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1242 HELP!!!!!!

synaesthesic

New Member
Hello,
Asking if any of you dual guru guys could help me with my Dual 1242.
As soon as I plug it in and power it up, starts spinning. Everything else works fine. It won't stop when the tone arm rest on its support.
Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
First, jump on Vinyl Engine, sign up and get the service manual. The on off switch is sticking. Not familiar with yours. I have a free 1209 with a sticky on off switch. I shelved it. Have a 1219 with a bad on off switch I broke while working on its motor. Did have a 1219 with a crabby on off switch. Stayed on like yours. I bent the lever then it would not come on. I don't recommend doing this. I did manage to get it just right and got it to work. I will suggest this. Pull the platter. I may have a c clamp holding it on. Hate those things. I take them and leave them off. Remove from wood base. Flip it over. You should notice a lever attached to the bottom of the arm. It's likely the grease has turned to glue. Move the arm and the lever should move when you move the arm towards the center. The lever should be free and move the on off switch when you move the arm. Forty years of grease does gum up the works. Had this issue on my 1219. Once regreased, it's been fine. My daily driver. Hope this helps. It's a starting point.
 
First, jump on Vinyl Engine, sign up and get the service manual. The on off switch is sticking. Not familiar with yours. I have a free 1209 with a sticky on off switch. I shelved it. Have a 1219 with a bad on off switch I broke while working on its motor. Did have a 1219 with a crabby on off switch. Stayed on like yours. I bent the lever then it would not come on. I don't recommend doing this. I did manage to get it just right and got it to work. I will suggest this. Pull the platter. I may have a c clamp holding it on. Hate those things. I take them and leave them off. Remove from wood base. Flip it over. You should notice a lever attached to the bottom of the arm. It's likely the grease has turned to glue. Move the arm and the lever should move when you move the arm towards the center. The lever should be free and move the on off switch when you move the arm. Forty years of grease does gum up the works. Had this issue on my 1219. Once regreased, it's been fine. My daily driver. Hope this helps. It's a starting point.


Success! Yes, It had gummed, just cleaned off and re-lubbed. Works like a charm! Thank you very much. I rescued that turntable which was handed to me for free since the owner didn't know what was the problem; it had the audio cables unpplugged and that gum issue.
 
Back
Top Bottom