• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1264 Counterweight

engine

New Member
Hi, I have a Dual Model 1264 with the anti resonance counterweight. The weights inside are rattling around. Can anyone instruct me on how to disassemble and repair this item (with photos included if possible)? If not, does anyone know where I can find a replacement counterweight?
 
Register to hide this ad
The weights for anti resonance are attached to spring like wire and dangle in the end of weight. Adjusting the anti resonance adjustment tightens them up tight or loosens them. Are they not attached to the wires?
 
I believe the rear of the weight unscrews or pops off. If it does not have the original cart mounted on the arm, it may have the extra weight attached to the back. It is held on with a screw that will need removed before trying to take it apart. It is not a big deal anyway. When the turntable was tested by one of the magazine's when it came out, it was found that it really did not work.

This table has a ultra light arm which has a effective mass of 7 grams. It originally came with a p-mount cartridge installed with a adapter to run standard mount carts. If it was changed to a standard 1/2 " mount it should have the extra weight attached to the back of the weight.

You can get the Manual for it from Vinyl Engine. You will have register to download it but it is free.
 
I could not find specifically the CS 1264 service manual on Vinyl Engine. There is a cutaway view of the counterweight in the 1980-81 product brochure available on that site. It doesn't look like the metal end cap unscrews and it seems to be tightly pressed on the plastic body. Before I force it I would like to find a 1264 replacement counterweight in case the plastic breaks. Any ideas where I can find one? Thank you.
 
I just got one on that auction site for under $10. Wanted to see what is inside, and whether or not it could work on some other Dual models.
Be patient, another will show up eventually.
 
If we have the same counterweight, then you are in luck. The metal end-cap is indeed glued to the black plastic and if you have a good, strong grip, it will release from the black enclosure. Twist and pull and twist again.
Sad that member Silverman recalls reading negative reviews of the counterweight. I had hopes for it being a better deal than the unit on the 701 or 721.
 
I believe the rear of the weight unscrews or pops off. If it does not have the original cart mounted on the arm, it may have the extra weight attached to the back. It is held on with a screw that will need removed before trying to take it apart. It is not a big deal anyway. When the turntable was tested by one of the magazine's when it came out, it was found that it really did not work.

This table has a ultra light arm which has a effective mass of 7 grams. It originally came with a p-mount cartridge installed with a adapter to run standard mount carts. If it was changed to a standard 1/2 " mount it should have the extra weight attached to the back of the weight.

You can get the Manual for it from Vinyl Engine. You will have register to download it but it is free.

These turntables did NOT use a P mount. The 1264/1257 along with other ULM Duals (506, 522, etc) used a proprietary single screw mount that was designed to work with particular Ortofon cartridges - the whole assembly including the mount and the cartridge contributed to the ultra low mass.
 
Last edited:
NoTransistors, Did your counterweight rattle inside before you disassembled it? If so, how did you repair it? Has anyone else had this problem with a 1264 counterweight and does anyone out there have a replacement for sale? Thank you.
 
The weight I got off epay has no rattles, and has not been taken apart beyond removal of the end-cap.
I am very familliar though, with the repair of the similar weights off models 701, 704, and 721.
 
I've repaired my Dual 1264 anti resonator counterweight. The internal weight design does not completely match the 1980-81 product brochure; only the adjustment part is the same. There's a D shaped weight and a stepped cylindrical weight attached to a metal strip using a single screw through both followed by a nut. In my case the nut fell off causing the assy. to come apart. I reassembled the weights with the small part of the cylindrical weight facing the metal strip, checked for adjustability, and re-glued the end cap. It seems to be functioning properly. It should rattle solidly if you shake it except when you adjust it to the transport setting (pointer at 14). If you hear any noise when you shake it at that point your internals are loose or have separated.
 
Well, that sucked.
On a similar theme, the non-adjustable 2x anti-resonance counterweight on the 701, 704, and 721 does make a large audible improvement.
 
Back
Top Bottom