• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 506 with ULM 40 S cartridge

Tim D

Super Member
Picked up a Dual 506 for $35. It came with what I assume is the original Ortofon ULM 40 S cartridge. I'm just looking for opinions on this cart vs. the other Ortofon's that were offered across the Dual line of the time. Is this BOTL or mid? Any opinions on this cart? Just wondering if I should update the stylus and use it or maybe locate the 1/2" adapter and go to something else?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
So is this an unusual cartridge for the 506? I don't see a lot of information on this cartridge. I'm wondering if it is worthy of keeping or should I get the 1/2" adapter and go to something else?
 
It's probably a decent cartridge but I believe it was the bottom of the Dual/Ortofon ULM series. There were 50, 55, 65 and maybe others. However if the series follows the OM series pattern, the higher end styli will work in it. The guts might be the same, with the tip shape and possibly cantilever being the difference.
 
Thanks Montycat.

I wonder if anyone could recommend a good stylus that would fit the ULM40S with that information in mind? An elliptical Jico if available?
 
Last edited:
Tim: The 506 should have originally come with the ULM45E, but maybe somebody swapped the needle or the whole cartridge (*). A somewhat odd choice, though, as the 40S is less of a good match for the ULM arm than the 45E or 45S due to being less compliant and intended for a tracking force of 2.5 instead of 1.5 g. The 40S was rather meant to be a more robust variant for ULM changers like for example the 1256.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

*) Did you actually look at the bottom of the cart, or did you conclude to the cartridge model from the installed needle, btw?
 
Tim: The 506 should have originally come with the ULM45E, but maybe somebody swapped the needle or the whole cartridge (*). A somewhat odd choice, though, as the 40S is less of a good match for the ULM arm than the 45E or 45S due to being less compliant and intended for a tracking force of 2.5 instead of 1.5 g. The 40S was rather meant to be a more robust variant for ULM changers like for example the 1256.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

*) Did you actually look at the bottom of the cart, or did you conclude to the cartridge model from the installed needle, btw?


Manfred / lini,

Thanks for the response. Been watching your entries on AK for a long while. Very good entries and advice I might add!

Yes, I removed the stylus and I looked at the side of the cartridge and it had ULM 40 S printed on the side. The stylus had DN140S printed on it. I'll post some pictures later. That will add to the facts and the fun.

So I picked this up locally and it came that way. My post was because I was a bit surprised myself about the ULM40S. I'm ok with going down the road of getting the 1/2" adapter and swapping it out if it is not a good match or if the quality of the ULM40S isn't good. I don't want to go and mod the arm with a different headshell from another model as I have seen others try to do. That just doesn't seem natural to me. I just want to clean it up, refresh the lubrication, and freshen the fungible parts such as stylus/cart, belt and RCA's. It could end up in a system at home, but I also end up gifting to friends and family from time to time. I'm not a flipper - yet.

Digressing/off topic:
I was the original owner of a 506-1 back around 1980/81 and had that for over 10 years and was very happy. The addition of kids had it stored away and eventually it got sold off. I missed it and took the opportunity to buy this 1st generation 506 to fill the hole in my heart. I am pretty sure my 506-1 had the TKS55E. At that time in my life I was pretty impressed with the 506-1/TKS55E combination. I remember it was an investment for me at the time. I was a little poor back then. Now I'm nostalgic and I'm becoming a bit of a hoarder. That's not my only Dual. I'm currently using a 1226 as my main deck with a Shure M91ED that I cleaned, lubed and replaced the steuerpimpel. (Bought one of those refurb packs on the big auction site that came with the instructions, grease and steuerpimpel.) I have several other Duals waiting for a refurb - of which this 506 is now one. (I've got an extra 1226, two 1009's and a 604 without a base.) My father had an early 60's Solid State Sylvania Maestro French Provincial Console with a Dual 1009. While the Sylvania's aren't revered, that was a high-end console at the time and cost him a lot of money. My dad's console got me started with Dual and led to my eventual purchase of the 506-1. I just recently got back into the hobby and now I can't stop. I just love the craftsmanship of all of them - even the plastic 506. To add to that they generally go for cheap here in the States. I feel like I'm finding buried treasure.

I have other non-Dual TT's, but they are mostly parts units that I may recycle at a local thrift. The only other TT that I have that I might consider decent is a Realistic Miracord 46 which is also waiting for a complete cleaning/refurb. It seems to have similar craftsmanship to the older Dual's although the styling is different.
 
Last edited:
Here are my findings now that I'm spending some time with the unit. Seems it needs more attention than I had hoped, but not a hopeless case at all.

- The fine speed adjustment doesn't work and the switch between 33/45 isn't working either. I can get it to jump to 45, but I have to play with the belt through the platter to get it back to 33 again. I believe the previous owner said it had a new belt. I'm guessing the belt might be the wrong one - causing the problem. (I've seen this mentioned on other threads.)
- Queuing lever is bent. I'll see if I can straighten it without damage.
- Finger lift is bent. Same plan as previous.
- The ULM40S cartridge is probably not original for this unit. Need recommendations to keep and update the stylus or move to something else - maybe via a 1/2" adapter. I see some 3D printed 1/2" adapters available on the big auction site. I believe it is Dual part No. 262-186 for the 1st generation ULM.
- The unit generally needs removal/refresh of the lubrication in all the necessary areas. (Need to find a guide or sticky for this.)
- Has original RCA connectors and they are oxidized. Need to replace.
- Found one of the wires at the cartridge was detached and the connector was loose. Need to fix.
- Overall, aside from the above, it is cosmetically in pretty good shape, but needs a good cleaning.
- The dust cover is in good shape with no cracks. No big scratches or scuffs, but it is a bit dull indicating age and fine scratches.

A first step is to find instructions on removing the platter. Hmmm, I'm sure those instructions are somewhere here on AK........

So, I know I need to obtain this much....
- A new belt to test the theory that the speed adjust is caused by the wrong belt.
- A new stylus for existing cart. I'll try it out and if I don't like it I'll upgrade later. Hopefully, I'll get more opinions.
- New RCA connectors. I'll try replacing these first and try out the unit.
 
Last edited:
I bought a Dual 606 that didn't have a cart for $15 on CL. I picked up a ULM cartridge cheap and it sounded OK. Not sure which one as it is downstairs.
I then bought an adapter to mount my Grado Red and it was too heavy so I found an add on weight and it balanced nicely. Definitely an improvement in sound on the table from the Grado.

DSC_0611.JPG
 
Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I opened her up and started doing a general dusting. Underneath I found the white fork that guides the belt up and down for the speed selector was broken and thus the speed selector isn't going to work in both directions. I'll have to watch for a replacement part. In the service manual has it listed as #8 with part number "234 428" and it's called "Carrier Cpl." Wonder how hard those are to find? Here's a pic.

IMG_0641.JPG

Also found the speed adjustment was seized. It wouldn't turn at all until I took the little nut off the top and I was able to let it rotate, but I think it is a threaded gizmo that is supposed to push downward when turned. Well, the up/down seems to be what is seized. I'm going to scratch my head about what needs to be disassembled to get at it for cleaning and fresh lube.

Anyone know what kind of lubes can be substituted. The service manual lists the following lubes.

Renotac No 342 Adhesive Oil
BP Super Viscostatic 10W/30
Shell Alvania No 2
Isoflext PDP 40
Silicon Oil A K 500 000

Well, I have some Alvania grease that I got with my stueurpimple from the big auction site when I refurb'd my Dual 1226. The BP sounds like motor oil, but I'm scratching my head on the others.

Following is what I've got. Most of it collected when I refurb'd my Dual 1226. Aside from the Alvania, I don't know if what I have maps to any of the above.

3 in 1 multipurpose oil
3 in 1 motor oil SAE 20
Singer All Purpose Machine Oil
Norvey All Purpose Turbine Lubricating Oil
Alvania grease

Here's a pic of the various oils I have.
IMG_0640.JPG
 
Last edited:
I might be able to help with the belt guide, if it's the same as a CS-508, as there is a parts table at the shop. It might be a few days before I can check though.

Your lube selection looks fine to me.
 
Tim: I've listed the lubricant types over there: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-for-vintage-lubricants.762020/#post-10384639

Can't really comment on your oils, as I don't know these and would have to check the descriptions and data sheets...

In any case, while the other ones (the tacky slideway oil, the motor oil, the lithum-soap-based grease, the silicone oil for the lift and the lithium-soap-based grease with MoS2) aren't much of a problem, that bloody Isoflex for the motor bearings is rather nasty, as there doesn't seem to be an exact replacement for that anymore. So ideally one would have to completely remove the old oil from the bearings (i.e., including what's been sucked up by the capillars) and (re-)impregnate these with a similarly suitable oil (like for example Nye 132B).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Contacted "turntableexperts.com" to see if they might have the speed selector fork. I'll post what I hear back. Otherwise I'll just have to wait to see if it comes up on the big auction site or perhaps a donor unit comes available at a decent price. I'll do some digging through other services manuals to see if it is the same part number for other belt drive Duals. I'll post what I find for that too.

Edit: Same part for: (Part number "234 428")

Dual 504
Dual 521
Dual 1245 (Item #5 in the SM)
Dual 1246
Dual 1249 (Item #5 in the SM)

EDIT: Might also include the 1268, but the service manual doesn't list the fork as a separate part number and the diagram in the service manual from VE wasn't very clear.
 
Last edited:
Ok, found the selector fork from an auction for a baggie of parts for a Dual 1249. It was a buy it now or best offer. I offered low and they went for it. I'll have the part in a little while. Comes with a bunch of Dual 1249 small parts that I don't need. I'll store those away for future. (I don't have a Dual 1249 right now.)

Edit: turntableexperts.com said the part is not in stock. Anyway, I found it so that’s not a problem.
 
Last edited:
Found another problem that was hard to figure out, but easy to fix. The drive spindle has expandable tines on the outside and there is a tube that slides down inside and expands the tines to increase the diameter of the drive spindle. Mine was stuck in the fully inserted position which spread the tines (because the tube is slightly flared at the top to push the tines out) thus making the drive spindle bigger which speeds up the platter when running. Found that there is a hidden spring but the tube was so stuck I had to grip it with pliers and pull hard to free it. After taking some burrs off it I used some of my Norvey All Purpose Turbine Lubricating Oil inside the tube and then re-inserted it. Boy did that make a difference. Now when I push the tube down the spring wants to push it back out. It’s sliding freely now as it should.

I'll do some cleaning and then reassemble the whole thing and see if the fine speed adjustment is now working - I think it will be.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom