• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 510 - original everything...$100US?

Audiowhat?

Active Member
Whaddya think? I've always wanted a dual, but not sure which model is what in terms of real AK performance experience! I've heard this is a nice table, but is it worth $100US? Original cartridge, everything seems to work, looks pretty mint for its age.
 
Register to hide this ad
I use a Dual 510 in my basement system and like it very much. It allways ends up in the cue up position which is handy for absent minded old guys like me. Does original cartridge mean Shure DUV15 III. If it does run to buy it now! HE or MR stylus if it is a V15 is even better (MR being best). The dust cover mech. on these is very good to as it will stay up in any position. If you end up with it I can hook you up with a copy of the owners manual if it doesn't come with it. Jay
 
Jaymanaa: What stylus replacement can you put on the magical V15 DU III? It is highly possible the original is shot, or near death... I don't want to pay more than the turntable for a stylus replacement... curse this turntable buying addiction....!!
 
I've had a 510 since '77 and still use it regularly for a second system. The semi-auto feature is very useful. Make sure that when the tonearm activates the platter/motor when you move it toward the lead record groove that the motor speed is correct.

Check this more than once -- I'd do it about 10 times in a row. Some of the motors ran too fast when activated, and that requires replacement with a later motor version from Dual, if IIRC. It it runs fast, I'd pass, or get the price down to $10--$20.

The pitch adjustment is controlled by a small toothed belt that can stretch over time and defeat this adjustment. Replacement is tedious, but not impossible.

Headshell mount for cartridge comes out by moving the small metal arm for lifting the tonearm manually toward the rear of the TT, and then the bottom half removes. You might do this to check the condition of its pins. Sometimes they can corrode and cause a poor contact.

The stock interconnects can fail at the connectors -- wiggle them right at the transition from the plug to the wire -- if any dropouts/hum you can splice on new plugs, or replace the complete interconnect.

If it has a V15 with good stylus, $100 is a good price. Without, should be in the $50 range. A very decent TT.
 
Last edited:
My recollection is from reading this info from:

http://www.theturntablefactory.com/dual.html

<BEGIN>

A NOTE TO OWNERS OR PROSPECTIVE BUYERS OF THE MODELS: 502, 510, 601 and 1249:

When these first came on the market, there was a major problem. When used in countries that utilized 50Hz line frequency, they worked fine. However, when used on the US 60Hz current, MANY of these units had a motor that would "double speed". Upon either pushing the start lever or manually moving the arm off the rest to start the machine, if it was set at "33", the unit would actually spin at 66! Back then, the only cure was a replacement motor. At that time, Dual extended the warranty period to cover this problem. Fast forward 30 years, and the problem still exists on MOST of these units.. so, a word of caution.. If you intend to buy one, ask the seller if the one you are interested has ever exhibited this problem. Not all did, but more than enough did (and do) that this warning is necessary. Since this could have been an "intermittant" problem, OR a constant one, you'd need to ask a seller to turn the machine on at least 10 or more times.. The chances are, if it doesn't double-speed at least once in 10 or 20 tries, it's OK. Another thing to look for: The original motor was a model # SM-840. The replacement is an SM-860. If it's been replaced with the 860, you're "home free". If not, the chances are all-too-good that the machine will exhibit the double-speed syndrome. The cure now, as then, is motor replacement.. $100 "back in the day", CONSIDERABLY MORE, now!

<END>

So, you can see it is not an issue to ignore. You will certainly be able to hear and see the difference between 33 and 66 rpm at start-up <G>! Plus, the stobe will not sync up with the too-fast turning platter.
 
Last edited:
Aha! yes I remember reading that article. I've decided not to purchase the 510, I reckon its too pricy, the cart is a DMS 200 dual. Thanks for your help... the search continues...
 
Hey Wornears, My 510 runs to fast about every 50 cues. I never knew why. Seems ok if I recue, but it sure is nice to know whats up. Thanks man, Jay
 
Probably killed any chance of selling (giving away) my own 510 with these posts! Actually, Jaymanaa, my 510 will do the double-speed dance about every 100-plus or so cue-ups. Completely random. I just re-cue it a time or two and it goes away. Think its been doing that for about 10 years or so -- didn't when it was new.

Good luck on your TT search Audiowhat? If it's going to be a daily driver, I'd look for a semi-automatic just for the convenience.
 
Haha yes... my daily driver is a fab little technics SL-7, quite possibly the mintest in the country (NZ...) humble, linear, but so easy to use.. and doesn't sound too bad for what its worth. I just wanted a more 'sophisticated' player with a good half-mount cart. That rega planar 3 at my local audio shop (about $300 us second hand) keeps demanding that I purchase it... maybe!
 
Back
Top Bottom