I was recently visiting a good friend of the family in Hittfeld near Hamburg, Germany and hope to help him out in getting his Dual 521 fully up and running.
His aim is to digitize his jazz record collection. Some idiot neighbour told him he could not use the 521 to digitize his music .... so he went out and bought an Ion USB turntable and tried it .... with poor results (gee, I wonder why?).
The 521 has a Dual DMS240E cartridge with DN241 stylus (although he figures it is quite worn). The 521 seems to works fine otherwise (no idea how old the belt is).
He has a Denon receiver with phono input so he is set in that regard. In the short time I had available I ran him through the concept of connecting the tape out from the Denon to his desktop computer and suggested he use Audacity to record and convert his collection. I also showed him where to get the user and service manuals for the 521 (vinylengine.com).
So a few questions:
Where in Europe would he best go to find a replacement stylus for the DMS241E ... or would he be better off going with a new cartridge for the 521 and if so what would be a good one for that table to suggest to him?
Is there a good European source for belts for that table (his seems fine but is probably over 10-yrs old)?
Finally, if he wanted to get the table serviced and perhaps a new cartridge properly mounted and aligned, or even the setup on the existing one checked, is there anyone in his area that he should take it to?
Thanks guys!
p.s. I guess one last question .... anyone want an Ion??
His aim is to digitize his jazz record collection. Some idiot neighbour told him he could not use the 521 to digitize his music .... so he went out and bought an Ion USB turntable and tried it .... with poor results (gee, I wonder why?).
The 521 has a Dual DMS240E cartridge with DN241 stylus (although he figures it is quite worn). The 521 seems to works fine otherwise (no idea how old the belt is).
He has a Denon receiver with phono input so he is set in that regard. In the short time I had available I ran him through the concept of connecting the tape out from the Denon to his desktop computer and suggested he use Audacity to record and convert his collection. I also showed him where to get the user and service manuals for the 521 (vinylengine.com).
So a few questions:
Where in Europe would he best go to find a replacement stylus for the DMS241E ... or would he be better off going with a new cartridge for the 521 and if so what would be a good one for that table to suggest to him?
Is there a good European source for belts for that table (his seems fine but is probably over 10-yrs old)?
Finally, if he wanted to get the table serviced and perhaps a new cartridge properly mounted and aligned, or even the setup on the existing one checked, is there anyone in his area that he should take it to?
Thanks guys!
p.s. I guess one last question .... anyone want an Ion??