• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual CS 741q no automatic tonearm movement at all

redondo2018

Active Member
Picked up a Dual CS 741q recently for a low price. Tonearm moves freely and cueing button works, but there is no movement of the tonearm assembly when I hit the start button. The platter does spin and the quartz lock engages. I have cleaned all the old grease and applied new grease, but when I say no movement, I mean when looking at it from below with the bottom cover off NOTHING moves in the tonearm assembly. I refurbished a 1219, so pretty familiar with the Dual way of doing things. The service manual mentions the Start switch as a possible issue, maybe start there?
 
Register to hide this ad
There is a tiny rubber cup called a steuerpimpel (honest!) that fits over a little metal peg on the arm movement. If that's worn out or missing, the arm does not have lateral automatic movement. The arm will rise and descend, but will have no lateral movement. I replaced one on a Dual TT to fix the problem. Phono parts suppliers sell those, and I think I paid 4 bucks for one.
 
Back
Top Bottom