• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual expert advice needed: 1254 tonearm on a 506?

rynmgdlno

New Member
I recently acquired Dual 506 with a bent tonearm and have been looking for a replacement arm. I came across one on eBay for a 1254 that looks visually identical to the 506 as far as I can tell, but I know nothing about these and searching hasn't brought anything specific up. Any Dual experts know if this is would work?
 
Register to hide this ad
A 506 and a 1254 visually identical? Me thinks you need to visit an ophthalmologist, man. ;) The 1254 is a small chassis changer with shorter and quite a bit different arm.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Heres a 506:
2.jpg


And the 54:
$_57.JPG


Lol they look the same to me except the length rear of the pivot and how the counterweight attaches (set screw on the 506 vs I'm not sure what). So this wouldn't work I take it? Really all I need is the tube itself but I don't know if that is a separate piece in the tonearm, different diameter, etc...
 
ryn: Sorry, but that other arm (respectively part of it) doesn't belong to a 1254, but a 1257. However, that also was a small chassis model, so that the tube would be ca. 1 cm too short. Dualfred(.de) would still offer the correct arm tube including headshell for the 506 and 606 for 25 Euro, though. But if you need to swap the tube anyway, I'd suggest to check with him, whether you couldn't install a 505-2 arm tube plus matching headshell right away and thus elegantly get rid of the proprietary ULM mount disadvantage...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Thanks for the replies! And I did have the model number mixed up! Both are available on eBay (1254 and 1257) and had them confused. But seeing as how the head shell adaptor is actually available right now on eBay, I'll probably pick that up from organdonorparts, thanks rsyjr. Good price too. Switching to the 505-2 is a good solution though if it would work. Thanks guys.
 
Back
Top Bottom