• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual Guide-White, or Black, or Red

NoTransistors

Dual Turntables Super-Restorer
I seem to have accidentally discovered that if the home-made guide-white is a bit longer than the original.....
There is no arm drift as the cue lifts it. This occurs from the anti-skate. It is most noticable when the cartridge has a brush, that requires you to add even more anti-skate.
Some Dual models are worse than others. The 1229Q seems to be most offensive, as the plastic tip on the cue lift pin contacts a very slippery underside of a carbon-fiber arm gimble.
When you make the new guide-white a bit longer, the control arm grabs lightly, as the cue lifts the arm.

Give N.T. a pat on the back.

Seth
Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop
 
Register to hide this ad
Not so fast, Seth - search my archives - I've had that discussion. In addition, you need to be very careful with the additional length - a bit too much will cause problems in the auto return cycle. What problems? If you have the cueing really packed with silicone paste, so that it is nice and slow, the stylus can shoot over the record on shut down. With the record player unplugged, and spinning manually, AND holding the cueing in the up position, make sure that there is clearance petween the clutch tip and the main cam lever.

Got two 1214's and a 1218 today for $10.00 - a good day! Two are done, time for # 3!
 
Bill,

I do recall our discussion and your warning about packing a 1st-generation 1219 with the really thick damping fluid. This is a Q, and may be exempt from that specific warning.

The new guide actually does clear the cam lever, though it is still a bit longer than the stock guide. Being a bit wider and of a softer material, it grabs like velcro. The arm travels smoothly, without jerking. Auto-mode has been tested repeatedly [for 12 hours of actual record play], and works absolutely flawlessly, every cycle. I never send out a repaired unit without at least that much actual test time under it's belt [or idler wheel]. In this case, I did not use the super-thick damping fluid. But, I will heed your warning, and give it a circumcision. "Just a little off the tip." Advice from a fellow Dual expert is always genuinely welcomed.

On my everyday Q, I had replaced the pad of hard black plastic on top of the cue lift pin with something softer to eliminate drifting. That unit is packed with really, really thick fluid, and the cartridge has a damped brush.

Seth
Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop
 
Just want to confirm I have this right. I have a 701 I'm cleaning up and it suffers from no arm return. After unsuccessfully going over and over the SM to determine how the return is powered, I finally noticed in one illustration that there is supposed to be a small cap on the control stud on a plate attached to the bottom of the tonearm pivot that isn't present on mine. This is the infamous Dual guide?

Any advice on the best replacement and size for a 701?
 
See my current thread on the guide (aka part # 223777, aka "tonearm clutch pad") under Dealer and Vendor Classifieds.

Note that vinyl works very well as a substitute clutch pad, but is somewhat softer than the original material and doesn't have a long lifetime.

Fred
 
So, I have one that I made from a piece of red urethane car suspension bushing, and another made from a thick dot of black rubber, pulled from a Whisper aquarium filter, that hangs behind the tank. These filters have a impeller axle that is held by a piece of rubber on each end. After slight trimming, a perfect guide. Perhaps these are available separately at a well-stocked aquarium, as this filter design has been common in several brands for at least 25 years.

Both work better than any piece of poly-type plastic, and unlike tubing, they cannot slide down the spring-loaded dowel.

Seth
Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop
 
diy

...I finally noticed in one illustration that there is supposed to be a small cap on the control stud on a plate attached to the bottom of the tonearm pivot that isn't present on mine. This is the infamous Dual guide?
Any advice on the best replacement and size for a 701?

The part was missing on a Dual 1219 I purchased. I used a small "blob" of hot glue (after trying several other substitute parts that all either came off or didn't grip well enough). It's been working great with it since November.
 
I have some white guides that have weakened and will NOT work as guides, but they might replace the cue cap. I have 6 in stock at AK prices (basically postage)
 
Back
Top Bottom