• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual hs 36 Ceramic cartridge pre amp for MM carts?

TrevorBarten

Well-Known Member
Not too sure if this is the correct board to ask this but I was servicing a hs 36 and I wanted to replace the original ceramic cartridge with a MM cartridge until I realised that the pre amplifier is only built for ceramic cartridges. Is there any easy way to modify the internal circuit of the ceramic pre amp to allow for MM carts or would I have to built/buy an external phono pre amp and install that inside the amplifier with an external power source ?
 
Register to hide this ad
most ceramic inputs are expecting about a volt of input from a very high impedance source. They don't have a phono preamp exactly so there isn't anything there to modify. Adding an RIAA stage is the usual way to do it.
 
Also, bear in mind, you need a 4 pole motor, to be happy using a magnetic cartridge reliably. Some lower end Dual models only have 2 pole motors, but can be changed to 4 pole motors from similar Duals.
 
There are a lot of inexpensive add-on phono preamps that you can buy, I'd try that. It isn't worth it to build a magnetic phono preamp into the space currently occupied by the ceramic cartridge input.
 
Back
Top Bottom