• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual Turntable - Name that Cartridge???

RichmondMark

Active Member
I recently picked up a Dual turntable (1229) in very good working condition. I'm happy with it so far. It sounds pretty good and I'm enjoying it in my system. But I have no idea what kind of cartridge is installed. I attached a couple pictures if you are interested. Anyone have any idea what I am dealing with here? If you can identify it, do you have any thoughts on that maker/cartridge?

Thanks for any help in advance.
 

Attachments

  • Dual Cart 1.jpg
    Dual Cart 1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Dual Cart 2.jpg
    Dual Cart 2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 88
Register to hide this ad
OK...here is a better picture. I need to go to a photography forum next...
 

Attachments

  • Dual Cart 3.jpg
    Dual Cart 3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 81
Just learned something new (which happens just about every time I drop by AK). Didn't know you could mount a B & O cart on anything but a B & O table.
 
OK, yes...that looks right. Thanks.

Still don't know what SP model...this doesn't have a single word/letter/graphic on it and yet there were apparently multiple models that looked very similar.

This gives me a good starting point.

Thanks.
 
Your pics make it look like the arm height is not sufficient for the cart, and also like the cantilever is dead, but both might be an illusion.
 
Dumptruck...

It looks worse in that photo BUT you are right -- the body of the cartridge is very close to the record surface. I adjusted (lowered) the tracking force which was set pretty high by the previous owner. It sounds fine but it does look like something is going on there... I'm not sure what though.
 
Most definitely the SP-12...I have one that my dad used way back when:thmbsp:

J.R.
 
Yes, I used a scale and got it down to 1.0 g...per the recommended specs in the manual I found on line (today). Thanks for the link to the specs as well. The previous owner had it set well over 2.0 g -- the maximum stylus pressure. It was getting squashed but it is sitting a little better now.

But still I can definitely see what you are saying about the arm. Seems like a poor fit...Perhaps not a good match. The good news is that is sounds fine for now so I don't need to do anything drastic.

I do have another TT (Pioneer PL-51) I could try it on I guess. Both tables are mid/early 70's tables which makes them of similar vintage to the cartridge...but I'm thinking the B&O would have been a bit more exotic than what you would have typically seen on either of them. Who knows?
 
Back
Top Bottom