• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dumb Questions Part 2

supertack

New Member
First off, why does the AU-717/919 integrates have 'power amp in' jacks? Was it intended for a power amp to be connected to that unit? If so, why would you connect a power amp to an integrated that already puts out a ton of power?

Moving on, assuming your working off the same AU-717/919 as a power amp, do you need a 'power amp in' jack on the unit your using as your integrated to get it to function properly?

I already know the integrated that I own (which I love & wanna use) does not have a 'power amp in' jack, but want to experience the 70s quality you folks are so fond of in the AU units.

Is there a way to connect an AU-717/919 amp in a power capacity to an integrated which only has in jacks for 'tuner' 'aux' 'phono' 'tape' & 'eq'?

Thanks, always good info.
 
Register to hide this ad
Sansui made other model integrated amps, and some receivers too, that have separable pre/power amp sections. Even the 160W Sansui AU-X1 has it, though it would seem odd to use such an amp merely as a preamp to another power amplifier.

In the case of the 717/919 that you ask about, it has Preout jacks and Power Amp In jacks. You can use the 717/919 as either: 1) a preamp to another separate power amp, or 2): you can use the 717/919 as a power amp, and connect another separate preamp to it.

In the case of 1), you would connect then connect cables from the PreOut Jacks of the 717/919 to the Power Amp In of the power amplifier that you want to use.

In the case of 2), you would then connect the Preout jacks of the separate preamp you want to use to the Power Amp in jacks of the 717/919.

In your case, you want to use the 717/919 as a power amp. However, instead of a separate preamp, you have another integrated amp whose preamp section cannot be separated from its power amp section (since there are no PreOut/Amp In jacks on it to do that)

So, what you can do is connect your integrated amp to a 717 or 919, via the Tape Jack outputs of your integrated (the Rec Out jacks), to the 717/919's Aux input. Though in this setup, you are not really bypassing the preamp section of the 717/919 (since the connection going into it is not going into the Amp In jacks).

B/F
 
EQ -in-between

Another nice function from the PRE OUT - MAIN IN jacks is to connect an equalizer or sound enhacer (dbx, etc..) between the preamp section of the Integrated amp and the Power amp section of it.

Cheers

Fernando
 
Re: EQ -in-between

Originally posted by ferlez007
Another nice function from the PRE OUT - MAIN IN jacks is to connect an equalizer or sound enhacer (dbx, etc..) between the preamp section of the Integrated amp and the Power amp section of it.

Cheers

Fernando

Or even James Bongiorno's Trinaural processor. The power in-and outputs allow you to put the effect units between the power and the pre amp sections.
 
Last edited:
Only things like Sansui catalogs and some hi fi magazines.

I like to look at whats available on Ebay Germany because it offers the most selection after Ebay USA. I am an Infinity speaker enthusiast as well, and Infinity products are quite popular in Germany. However, I dont think I could ever buy any amps or speakers from there, the shipping cost alone would be very expensive. Even when I have bought magazines, it turns out to be expensive and a bit of effort to process the transaction- Most sellers there dont use Paypal, so I have to make a trip to a store to exchange Dollars to Euros, pay an exchange fee when I do that, stand in a long line at the Post Office, then pay extra to make sure the envelope its in is secure (as there is cash inside), and is sent via faster postal service. And almost always, something as simple as just one mere magazine, seems to take about a 1 month wait to ship from Germany and arrive at my house.

BTW, I was once going to trade an AU-20000 I had for a TU-X1 tuner with an Online friend I know in Holland, but the deal fell through because it was insanely expensive for both of us to ship the items to each other.

B/F
 
Originally posted by BeatleFred
So, what you can do is connect your integrated amp to a 717 or 919, via the Tape Jack outputs of your integrated (the Rec Out jacks), to the 717/919's Aux input. Though in this setup, you are not really bypassing the preamp section of the 717/919 (since the connection going into it is not going into the Amp In jacks).
B/F

So I would then leave the 717 selector on 'AUX' the entire time, & control the other components through the integrated that is conected via the 'REC OUT' jack? Is this correct?
Assuming this works, & I can control the Tuner, Eq, Cd, & Phono through the integrated that is now connected to the "REC OUT' jack, can I control say another component that is connected to the 717s other output jacks. For instince hooking up another CD player to one of the phono outputs on the 717, then switching it from 'AUX' to 'phono'?

I think Im understanding what your saying, it's just the flow from 'AUX' on the 717 to 'REC OUT' on the integrated which will still control the other componets, has me confused.
 
No such thing as a dumb question. I always learn new things by people asking "dumb" questions. This has been a case in point.
You should be able to hook other components to the AU-717 such as a TT or tuner. You could also have other components connected to the other amp. It's one way of accessing a collection if you don't have something like the AX-7
 
Comparison

What is the actual differences (besides age) of these units:
AU 515
AU 717
AU 919
AU 917
Is the 717 & 919 the same outside of year produced? Is the 515 less powerful than the 717? Why does the guts of the 917 look so much different than the 919?

Sorry about all these novical questions, just tryin' to figure out which unit I'm gonna target.

Thanks
 
There is much more knowledge here at the site, but if I recall correctly, the X17 series were produced prior the X19 series, and just the very top models saw this re-encarnation 519, 719 and 919. I remember they had a green phrase below the Sansui logo at the faceplate to show the differences.

Cheers

Fernando
 
Think logically here. Outputs go into Inputs. You have only one connection going from the Rec Output (left & right) into the 717 Aux Input (left & right). So, whenever you wish to hear anything on the other unit, you must always have the 717 function selector switch set to Aux.

If you wanted to choose another Input to make the connection to, for example, you make a connection from the other unit's Rec Out to the 717 Tuner Input (instead of Aux input), then if you want to hear the signal coming from the other unit going into the 717, you must now have the 717's function selector set to the Input that the other unit is connected to, in which case its now the Tuner input.

You can choose whatever Input on the 717 you want that accepts the signal from the other units Rec out signal, except for the phono input. Phono is only for turntables which is not whats called a line-level signal, as cd players, tuners, tape decks etc.. , are. However, the Aux input would be the most natural choice.

If you connect a cd player to the Aux input (left & right channels) of the other unit, you then make sure the Aux input is selected on that other unit, so that you can hear it. If you plug a tuner into the other unit's Tuner inputs, likewise, the other's unit function selector should then be on Tuner. And since the Rec Out of the other unit is going into the Aux input of the 717, you always have the 717 set to Aux.

You can test it out w/o needing speakers- just connect headphones to the 717 headphone jack and make sure you hear sound. If you do, then you know, everything is hooked up properly.

As to your other question, Yes, of course you can still use other devices that plug directly into the 717, why not? For example, if you wish to connect another cd player directly to the 717, you can- BUT, you cant plug it into the 717 Aux input, since you already have the other units Rec Out signal connected into it. But thats ok. Simply connect the other cd player to another input on the 717, such as the Tuner input. (just because its labeled Tuner input, doesnt mean you must connect a tuner to it, you can connect any line level device to it). And if you want to hear that cd player, then switch the 717 function selector to the Tuner setting. If you want to hear something connected to the other unit again(your other integrated amp being used as a "preamp"), then simply, switch the 717 selector back to Aux.

Keep in mind, the Tape Rec Out jack connection betweeen the other unit bypasses the other unit's Volume Control, so the volume level is thereby controlled by the 717 volume knob.

I do hope everything is clear now with your understanding of this.

B/F
 
As for your other questions:

515: I presume you meant AU-517.

917: "............................. AU-719


Analogies are often good ways to explain things. Think of amplifiers like automobiles when comparing models. An AU-517 and AU-717 are the same just like a Honda Civic and a Honda Accord are the same- both models amplify, both cars move. Both models have tires, both models have..., transformers, for example. Yet, the Honda Accord has a bigger engine than Civic, and the 717 has more power than the 517. The larger Accord costs more to buy new than the Civic, the 717 costs more than the 517..,. (So, they are the same, but they do have differences) If you look under the hood of both cars, many parts are the same that they share in common, alternator, battery, radiator etc,, ditto the electronic parts inside the amps, though the layout inside may vary and so forth.
And just like car manufacturers, audio manufacturers produce a new generation of models every few years, striving to make the new generation better, or improved in some way, than the previous, AU-919..519 Lines vs...AU-717....117 Line, ditto '04/'03 Accord vs....'98-'02 Accord, comprende'?

B/F
 
Last edited:
Re: EQ -in-between

Originally posted by ferlez007
Another nice function from the PRE OUT - MAIN IN jacks is to connect an equalizer or sound enhacer (dbx, etc..) between the preamp section of the Integrated amp and the Power amp section of it.

Cheers

Fernando

I want to try this at home. I have an AU-717. It sounds like I can just hook up the EQ with regular RCA jacks and this would allow me to control the sound output from any source, TT, tapedeck, tuner etc. Is that so or is there more to it. I don't want any 'splosions. :confused:
 
I performed this eq trick with an ADC equalizer while having a 517 at home with no problems whatsoever. The eq had a fixed output in this case, be aware if you will place a variable output eq in the middle turning all the volume down and trying step by step until you reach a desireable voltage feeding the amp section.

Fernando
 
Cool! Some quiet afternoon I'll have to try it out. The EQ I have has a steady out put so I won't need to play with the levels at all. I am curious about the length and type of cabling you used. Donde vivas ustedes en mexico?
 
1.- Sine it ia buffered output, there is no need for small lenght cables in this case, a 1mt long RCA per side will surely work. Be carefull with the volume knob at your integrated amp though, an additional gain may be observed if you place the eq in between.

2.- I live in Mexico City :p:

Fernando
 
Thanks for the information Fernando. I've spent a little time in Mexico City (or D'eFay as the locals call it). I've never seen so many people all in one place. Spent a couple of evenings on La Zona Rosa and one memorable day just outside of town, I forget the name, but there is a park where you can swim in the pools that Montezuma is said to have used. It's where I had my first taste of Pulque. :beer: :banana: A taste you don't forget!
 
Back
Top Bottom