• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dumpster find- Stack of Bozak Speakers

alexdwayne

New Member
I found this large stack of 18 speakers in a dumpster recently. I verified that they are are all Bozak drivers and tweeters, circa 1964. I'm trying to decide whether to take the speakers out of the box and sell them individually or sell the stack as-is, with all 18 speakers. The stack box is well-constructed and would surely be a great rig for a large venue. But the speakers seem to garner a lot of interest for DIY audiophiles, so I may sell them individually.
Any advice on value would be appreciated. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 20160417_222837.jpg
    20160417_222837.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 266
Register to hide this ad
Definitely sell them individually.....

1964 Bozaks, even if you just clean them up and replaced the grills...you have eighteen hard to find vintage speakers.
 
Last edited:
Not sure if there is a demand for those Bozak PA speakers, but the parts should be quite desirable. If that had been in a dumpster near me, I'd be well on the way to having all the tweeters I need to rebuild my 1960 CGs.
 
There's a demand for any kind of stereo equipment right now....

And it depends on the cross-overs installed to create the sound
 
There's a demand for any kind of stereo equipment right now....

Lol; You've obviously never tried selling audio gear in New England.
OP Are you sure those drivers are 1964 vintage? To me the tweeters look like the later aluminum cone version which are the better ones.
 
In New England and the Mid-Atlantic vintage audio gear is a tougher sell. We have been lucky enough to have a lot of it. But especially with bigger speakers too many potential buyers already have too many. Individual drivers are so much easier to sell and ship. There is probably a huge price discount for trying to keep that speaker together. Take some time to learn about the drivers, and make sure they each work.
 
Turn it on its side and use it as one heck of a center channel speaker! :D
 
Likely worth more parted out. I'd think vintage Bozak drivers worth more, but haven't looked them up.
 
I normally don't encourage parting out speakers but it's not exactly a gorgeous hi fi cabinet, and you only have one anyway. May not have even been constructed by Bozak in the first place. I'm thinking parting it out might be the best thing to do. People will be looking for those drivers.
 
Not sure if there is a demand for those Bozak PA speakers, but the parts should be quite desirable. If that had been in a dumpster near me, I'd be well on the way to having all the tweeters I need to rebuild my 1960 CGs.

Exactly...

What speaker systems share those tweeters and drivers and what crossovers are used. Even if a person used DIY speaker boxes with the exact Bozak speaker box demensions, then used actual wood in the construction. And products are shipped all over the world, why care about a stagnate local economy.
 
Exactly...

What speaker systems share those tweeters and drivers and what crossovers are used. Even if a person used DIY speaker boxes with the exact Bozak speaker box demensions, then used actual wood in the construction. And products are shipped all over the world, why care about a stagnate local economy.

Bozak didn't make a huge number of different drivers, they just used them in different combinations for home or PA purposes.
 
Cross overs....

Define the sound !

I'm making speakers.....

You're not making sense. The B200Y tweeters and B209B midranges (the drivers that would have been in production in 1964) were used in both home and PA-type Bozak enclosures. These drivers have value on the market as replacements for the older, pre-1961 paper tweeters and midranges. Bozak's crossovers (or, preferably, the Tobin reworks) are easy to build either with factory Bozak crossovers as starting points or from scratch.
 
Back
Top Bottom