• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

dumptruck is finally building ewaves for real

dumptruck

Lunatic Member
edit 3: For now, anybody new is better off starting at the end and going backward as far as you are interested. I will put a summary and quick links to relevant parts in this first post as the end approaches. All you really need to know before skipping to the end is that this is DE250, QSC waveguide, and Lambda TD15M-4, and my own cabs.

edit 1: questions below are resolved, build portion of thread begins at p2, post #20.
edit 2: changed woofer again on page 5, now a TD15M, so basically the whole first part of this thread is irrelevant.

Despite my enthusiasm for the whole project, I have yet to do much more than play around with the waveguide top ends (although that is kind of the main idea) without any real builds. It's time to fix that. Here's the issue, and some things I need advice on.

What I want to do, is DE250+QSC with an AES Lambda woofer. Realistically, I don't think I can afford the Lambdas anytime soon, but I'm sick of waiting. I already have the top ends. I also already have cabinets mostly together (5.75 ft³ before subtractions), and they include removable baffles with easily modified/replaced rectangular ports. So, I figure why not just do a build with a cheap woofer to tide me over for a year or so? The Dayton Classic 12" will work in the cabinets (granted not at very high power, and perhaps a bit sloppy).

Question #1: Did anyone do the Dayton Classic with this top end? I couldn't find any, and would be curious to hear/see how that went. Looking at individual driver response curves for the standard and deluxe builds, it does appear that the HF of the standard (including xover of course) could be swapped to that of the deluxe with no changes whatsoever. Am I missing anything? Looks like the deluxe has almost the exact same HF response, but smoother.

(Related) Question #2: There are mentions of baffle step being considered in the ewave crossovers. I understand what that is, but all I see is a normal 2nd order crossover.. What's the deal? My baffle is about 25" (.635m), which should drop the baffle step by about 80Hz vs the PE cabinet used for the design. I know there's a lot of variables and it's pretty much a crapshoot in the first place, but I'd still like to know what's up and if it's worth trying a preemptive tweak to xover of some sort.

Question #3: anybody think that I should use a different woofer in the same price range?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Have you put your name in for the group buy on the eWave thread for the Lamdas? I don't know how much cheaper they will be, but reduction in price is good right?
 
Have you put your name in for the group buy on the eWave thread for the Lamdas? I don't know how much cheaper they will be, but reduction in price is good right?

You got a link for that post? The OP can't be edited to announce it, and the thread is 900+ posts long now. I bet a lot of guys would have been interested in that group buy.
 
Yeah, actually I think the group buy idea was first mentioned in my thread about alternatives to the kappalite woofer after the price went up on those, and I did post my interest on the group buy in the main ewave thread (it was very recent btw, Jeffery). I don't think I can afford it if it happens soon though. Big difference between $40 and $200+.
 
BTW: I just did a custom recone of the JBL 2206... with a softer spider, and a longer-winding voice coil. Wound up modeling in a box of about 5.5 cubic feet, with an f3 of 31 Hz. Vent frequency of 33 Hz. Should have the same HF response as the stock 2206 (which is remarkably flat up to around 2.5KHz- see here: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2206.pdf ), except slightly lower efficiency (still like a TRUE 93dB @ 1w/1m), and more low bass (f3 of about 31 Hz as opposed to about 45 Hz, for the stock 2206)...

Just saying.... that recone wasn't very expensive, comparatively. And dead 2206s aren't that expensive either. Hopefully, donprice can comment on the one I just returned to him, done this way... I am curious about what he thinks about it!

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Just saying.... that recone wasn't very expensive, comparatively. And dead 2206s aren't that expensive either. Hopefully, donprice can comment on the one I just returned to him, done this way... I am curious about what he thinks about it!

Regards,
Gordon.

I just got my WT3 gadget today so the 2206 testing and modelling may not be too far off. I've got a 2 ft^3 box with just enough room for the 6x12 waveguide. Far from ideal but Plan B is to build a base box to set it on to get it off the ground and add 2-3 more cubic feet for proper thump.

Please excuse the thread-jacking...
 
The best i can offer is that I put together the Dayton Classic 12" in an active 2-way with an H290 and BMS 4550. I know that's way different from what you want to do, but in my opinion the woofer gets a little fatiguing in it's higher frequency range. I am assuming that's from distortion. But for the money...it's hard to complain. I think it does its job well.
 
Skywave wanted to see a sim, so here's mine. Xmax appears to put this tuning at around 100W max (113dB/1m) if used full-range. Good enough for me. You can do a little better in a smaller box, but only a little.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • beyma 12br70 bass response sim.png
    beyma 12br70 bass response sim.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 2,236
Yup, 34. As far as all specs and measurements I can find, it looks entirely comparable to any of the better ewave woofers with the bass+efficiency thing going on, and better than some. I wonder if I could get them locally (in order to buy a single one to try out without getting burned on shipping if I want a second)?
 
Yup, 34. As far as all specs and measurements I can find, it looks entirely comparable to any of the better ewave woofers with the bass+efficiency thing going on, and better than some. I wonder if I could get them locally (in order to buy a single one to try out without getting burned on shipping if I want a second)?


Bump.



Have you considered GordonW's EWave woofer? You'd need either JBL 2206 or 2226 baskets for the custom re-cone. If you have a line on those it could be interesting.
 
Last edited:
Anybody else have thoughts on the Beyma woofer? The freq. response looks like 1/6 octave, maybe hiding some things but it seems like the best I've seen in the price range really.. Can anyone explain this time response plot? I know (more or less) how to interpret a spectral decay graph, and I wish I had one for this woofer, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at with this graph. Is it pink noise? A 1k pulse? Is this really telling me anything?

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • beyma 12br70 timeres.gif
    beyma 12br70 timeres.gif
    11 KB · Views: 2,033
Bump.



Have you considered GordonW's EWave woofer? You'd need either JBL 2206 or 2226 baskets for the custom re-cone. If you have a line on those it could be interesting.

I think that is what Cosmos had GW make up for him. DAMN fine sounding driver.
 
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I was aware of Gordon's creations, and did send him a message earlier in this thread when he posted. He will be contacted again at some point :thmbsp:.
 
I've heard good things about the Peerless SLS series 12" woofer. DC270 (I think) was using a pair in a recent build. They spec out very well, and are under a C-note each.
 
830669? Yeah, I think somewhere in the ewave thread I asked about that and Zilch said he was going to try it. It sims a little awkward (box large, a little boomy, box huge, too much excursion). Much like the Beyma, I'd love to see a decay plot.
 
I'm back! Going to try Altec 414z for the woofs. Combining crossover sections from the Deluxe and 414z projects in the techtalk thread and then tweaking a little, PCD is showing promising results. This is +/-1.4dB(!), but it is really just a "yeah that looks like it'll work just fine" sim. Gotta measure some things to really do the PCD.

attachment.php


For those curious about the bass, well, they'll probably need some help. We'll see. The WinISD cab sim is around -3dB@39hz, -10dB@32. xmax at about 112dB/1M.
 

Attachments

  • Graph1.gif
    Graph1.gif
    27.6 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom