• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dynaco A-25 Philips variant

I acquired a standard SEAS "star frame" woofer and, listening to it full-range vs the Peerless in the Philips/Peerless variant, I hear subjectively the Peerless sounds like it goes higher, even with the roll-off coil. Makes sense with a 1" dome vs a larger mid-tweet. It is a different speaker in the same box but still an A-25 as a variant.
 
Hi there

Sorry for Hijacking your thread Pio1980, but it seems you are one of a very few with similar A25 as me..as you probably know, info about those is pretty scarce

I just got a pair today. I had to remove the grilles as I wondered how they look. Soon afterwards, I realized that they don't fit the pictures of A 25 I saw before.
First I thought they have been altered, but then I found your thread, now I believe that it is a stock version..

I guess I have a pair which uses Phiplips tweeters and a Peerless driver as well. Also, the crossover includes a coil which is not what I expected.

What is your impression soundwise compared to "standard" A 25? Also, is the crossover the same as yours and if yes, do you know the value of the capacitor used in the crossover?

Thanks and cheers

Christoph
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20150612_175106.jpg
    IMG_20150612_175106.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20150612_175114.jpg
    IMG_20150612_175114.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20150612_175118.jpg
    IMG_20150612_175118.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20150612_181042.jpg
    IMG_20150612_181042.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20150612_181113.jpg
    IMG_20150612_181113.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 45
I don't have any info beside what I found here..

Just saw that you posted a cross over wiring diagram, according to that, it uses a 8uF capacitor.
 
Those look very homebrew repair to me. The screws don't look original, there is carelessly applied sealant, and the cut outs don't match. Doesn't mean they don't sound fine, but I very much doubt if they are a factory variant.
 
Dunno about the stamped basket woofers, mine were cast like the SAES, iirc.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
The screws are looking similar as in Pio's pics shown at page 1.
Also, the crossover looks quite identical, same coil, so at least that part looks like factory built.
But Pio's right about the non casted woofers. Either they have been replaced or there is another variant of A25. It is quite difficult to identify the woofers as there is no label or stamp on them.

Soundwise, it depends on the material I throw at them, mostly I love it but sometimes I dunno..

Cheers
 
My sense on these is that they are an OEM variant and totally type correct from appearance.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I just accuired one of these in an odd pair. The woofer is non casted and everything seems unaltered and original. The woofer is unmarked and Peerless seems to be a very good guess. Tweeter is the famous Philips AD 0160. The xo is exactly the same as in previous pictures. The funny thing with mine is that it has a Dynaco logo on the grey linen front. Anything on the back is unfortunaly lost. If these are of Scan-Speak early origin why the Dynaco label? I could mention that the build quality is quit poor but everything seems A25 original. A guess in the wild is that when things was getting hot and demand high they took what parts that were available and already proven and perhaps outsourced some production?
 
http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71011&PN=1
I don't read Danish but the pix are informative.


You can copy and paste in "Google translate" https://translate.google.com/ Here's some of what was said in that thread:




As mentioned earlier, in several threads here at hifi4all.dk, a thread must be made about the renowned Scandyna / Dynaco speakers.

Especially the different A-25 (X and XL) models that have been a must for any serious American pipe aficinado, which will be discussed here for many years, but also the small A-10 model could be picked up here.

My flu-heavy head is not ready to add gold grains or just basic info to here, but somewhere I can start to start. To put a picture of four sets of A-25X Scandyna speakers stacked according to Dynaco's own prescriptions, so that the overall resistor remains as the individual speakers (in this case 4 ohms).

Here you go:



The 8 speakers are powered by a Sansui Au-9900 amplifier (the black case to the left of the gold-colored rudder ramp in front of the shutter) of approx. 80 old-fashioned vintage watt.

And that sounds really good. The perspective could by the way be better, but 8 times 10 '' basses can now matter!

I leave the set up for a few days / weeks if someone can not live at all without hearing how it sounds. Then you just look past!

PQR


__________________
Lots of vintage items.

www.vintagehifi.dk


To top View pqrannes's Profile Search for other posts written by pqrannes

LouBP
Forum User
Forum User
Avatar

User page: 29 October 2005
Location: Aarhus
Status: Offline
Posts: 2428
Posted: 08 January 2009 at. 22:21 | IP address registered



So did you finally get it done - And that sounds good can I understand? It could be I should strive to stack 4 pairs
Scandyna Dynaco speakers in the future.

I'm certainly happy with mine, but I will not bother me if I found a set of Dynaco models.




What kind of pipes are you playing now, a Braun cvs 13 looks like it? and what more, shel? And what is the gramophone in
the middle of one.

__________________
Sincerely. Louis


All Vintage

Image upload guide

To top View LouBP's Profile Search for other posts by LouBP Visit LouBP's Site

copman
Forum User
Forum User
Avatar

User page: January 23, 2006
Location: East Jutland
Status: Offline
Posts: 520
Posted: 08 January 2009 at. 22:38 | IP address registered




Hi PQ

Happy welcome to Scandyna, who lived in my dear West Jutland ... (Humlum - by all names!)

My father has STADIG's Scandyna receiver (program buttons run out) and corresponding speakers that look very similar to yours. I think his is 8 "- does it fit? The reflex gap is under the bass and the middle / treble is a about 3-4" dome.

The foam hangings are unfortunately the darkest away.

Can you listen?

mvh Allan

To top Show co
Suggest an edit
View original translation




.

About Google TranslateCommunityMobile

About GooglePrivacy & TermsHelpSend feedback
 
Back
Top Bottom