• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dynaco A-25 question

Urizen

Lunatic Member
How does one remove the wire mesh cover from the tweeter? I see four screws which appear to be attaching them. I don't want to fubar the tweeters. Before I proceed, I wonder if those screws hold something else together with the tweeter?

I think they will have better dispersion if I remove those grills.

Regards,

Ken
 
Register to hide this ad
Four screws hold them on, with no glue holding the mesh to the frame. They came right off. I knew they were messing with the tweeter's dispersion.:smoke:

They are much smoother now.

Much better so far. I can only imagine how they will sound when I recap 'em.
 
I wonder if there is a sonic purpose for these screens? Were they merely designed to keep prying fingers from damaging the tweeter dome?

seasscreen.jpg
 
I just aquired two pair of Dynaco 25s- how'd you get the grilles off? One of the Dynacos is ailing, woofer rattle...

I've heard, I think via Dr. Audio or Rich PA, that removing the metal tweeter grilles really opens up the tweeter, really improves it.

Don't toss those grilles however- they'll hurt resale, and they'll come in handy if you end up having babies with curious fingers- my neice, who I love dearly, was warned about not poking in the dome centers- of course, I came back to see 'em all "innies"...
 
thedelihaus said:
I just aquired two pair of Dynaco 25s- how'd you get the grilles off? One of the Dynacos is ailing, woofer rattle...

2 pairs? Lucky dawg. Remove the four screws at 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees. The covers will then come right off. Be careful not to tear the tweeter leads.

Have you tried inverting the woofer to resolve the rattle?

If you need replacement woofers they are readily available from Seas.

Congrats on your successful fest, btw!:thmbsp:
 
Removing the "deflector dishes" is a well worthwhile mod for the Dynacos. I mentioned it in another thread recently after removing them from my A-35s and I really enjoy the difference. No kids here so they are safe to boot:thmbsp:
 
Urizen,

Thanks for the info. One pair has good cabinets, one pair of cabs are a bit rough. The woofer, it's possibly either woofer sag or sometimes I've heard of the glue starting to let up on the driver basket. Might just be that.

Here's the deal- I picked up the set with nice cabs for $50 off Jozmo a while back, but was unable to get them until yesterday. They developed the rattle earlier this week when he took 'em out to test 'em. So he went and grabbed a second pair and threw them in for free- what a great guy!
 
Urgent update on the mod!

Right after my last post I was listening to the A-35s and noticed the right speaker sounded odd so upon further inspection I found that it was not only losing air through the screw holes but the screws support the rear structure of the driver and the one in my right cab had shifted. Fortunately I was able to put all of the screws back into both drivers and everything sound just fine if not better than ever.

If you plan on removing the tweeter covers I would suggest removing three screws, then back off the fourth screw enough to allow you to safely shift the cover out of the way so that you can start to put screws back in before releasing the last one. In my case it was a combo of luck and my dad watching over me! Don't let this happen to you:no:
 
I was just gonna mention that those 4 screws also secure the magnet assy. and the magnet will shift. The best way to do it is to take the tweeter out and hold it magnet down while you take the screws out, then there really isn't any stress on anything.

Don't ask how this fool knows.
 
cabinover said:
I was just gonna mention that those 4 screws also secure the magnet assy. and the magnet will shift. The best way to do it is to take the tweeter out and hold it magnet down while you take the screws out, then there really isn't any stress on anything.

Don't ask how this fool knows.

Don't tell me, let me guess...your real name is Bhindar Dundat?

No dig intended my friend, but your post prodded my amusing memories of translated manuals for tools of Asian origin which would describe in great detail. step by step how to set up and use the aforesaid tool followed, at the end of the instructions by those two dreaded little words "BUT FIRST":D Timing = Priceless:thmbsp:
 
SOTA said:
Fortunately I was able to put all of the screws back into both drivers and everything sound just fine if not better than ever.

Whoa! :sigh:

Thanks for the warning. The screws are safely re-intalled, and the tweeters are no worse for wear.

Btw, I ordered a pair of Morel MTD20 tweeters and some fresh caps from PE last night. I find the orginal tweeter too rolled off in the highs. I will be doing the upgrade this weekend, and will post my listening impressions, firstly with just a cap replacement and then with the new tweets installed.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Ken
 
SOTA said:
Don't tell me, let me guess...your real name is Bhindar Dundat?


:yes: :yes: :D

Ken,
Let us know how you like the Morels when you get them installed, I just lost a tweeter on mine. Spoke too soon in another thread I guess although it wasn't lack of power but a bad wire too small for me to fix.
 
Urizen, the best part of this thread is the beginning. 22 minutes after asking for advice, so as not to screw up your speakers, you proceed anyway. :thmbsp: Sounds like something I would do.

cubdog
 
I went to remove the grills off the Dynacos- the cloth grills. But I couldn't see any nails, velcro pads, ect. I'd love to know how to get the cloth grills off- any experience? I'll patiently await an answer, and NOT go ahead and try to pry 'em off or something....
 
The cloth grills are locked on by a small screw that goes through the nameplate. Other than that they are held on by a tenacious, stays sticky forever type of glue behind the wood frame. I carefully worked out the top with a screwdriver padded with a rag till I could get my fingers behind it.

- Dave
 
cubdog said:
Urizen, the best part of this thread is the beginning. 22 minutes after asking for advice, so as not to screw up your speakers, you proceed anyway. :thmbsp: Sounds like something I would do.

cubdog

:yes: Beginners luck?
 
Back
Top Bottom