• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dynaco A25 $180 worth it?

sberger

Hard Core Geezer
Subscriber
Considering this local buy to team up with my Sansui Six and Eight Deluxe. I have Klipsch Cornwalls already that I love but just curious about the A25's as I heard they match well to these receivers. So...too much or ok? Remember, I'm in the Bay Area so prices on everything are more than they are around most of the country, unfortunately.
 
Register to hide this ad
Depends on what you are looking for and at what price?
I sold my 2 pairs for more than this and the Buyer was very happy! Go 4 it:)
 
Way too much in my opinion


- different woofers, no badges. I know, it's a Seas replacement.

For that price I would wait for a pair that has identical woofers.

Or

Wait for a pair that the cab has some stain or has scratches on it, they are easily repairable and so you can deal the price down.

But two different woofers ?.

Maybe you can find one or the other woofer on E-Bay or elsewhere for cheap.

Found my A25 for a 100$ but they are mint.

Good luck !
 
Yeah they're nice but trying to find local. Don't want to road trip to Sacto.

Good idea. I had to travel to the Bay Area midweek, discovered that they're tearing up I5 through Stockton, and I580 between Livermore and Pleasanton. On the way back, a truck fire nearly shut down I580. Fun. :no:
 
I truely do love my a25s if that woofer bothers you there is always woofs on the bay. And when you calculate time and money spent traveling are you getting that much better of a deal with ones in Sacramento?
 
Nope that's the point. I want easy:yes: These will most likely be a second string speaker for me, either to play with certain amps, or moved out to the developing man cave in the garage. I want something that is essentially plug 'n' play. I'm not going to be replacing drivers, or making long drives to get it. That's why the ones that I'm asking about intrigued me because their only a few minutes from where I live.

Thanks for the feedback.
 
I'm picking up a pair tomorrow with mismatched baffles (think they're originally of a different vintage) and woofers (one has SEAS and one USS), but matching tweeters. So not ideal. But the cabs are cosmetically very clean, grills seem ok with no rips/staining (but no badges), and I can't tell the baffles are a different color with the grills on. I'm paying just a bit less than those you listed.

There's another pair on CL in Bay Area for $300, which is way too high.

If you look at the auction site, they can go for much more than $180. For me, cosmetics are the most important, because I don't want to reveneer and I don't like living with something that looks beat up. Badges are easy enough to get and I don't mind repros if I have to.

The seller, who I trust (AK'er and bought from him before) says he can't tell the difference in sound with the different woofers. If for some reason I can, there's enough out there that I can probably trade for a matching woofer or pick one up at some point, but I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference.

I'm buying mine to pair with a tube amp (Fisher or Scott) - I heard some A25's on a Fisher 400 and it sounded awesome, which is what got me started on my search.

So, to me, it depends on how much of a rush you're in, what you think of the cosmetics of that pair, and what convenience and time mean to you. By getting mine, even if I'm paying market vs a score, means I don't have to spend time looking on auction sites or CL anymore to find a pair, don't have to cosmetically restore them, or drive too excessively far or try to hit up countless garage sales and thrift shops hoping to find a mint pair for much less, which I've never seen in all the times I've hit up Bay Area stops.

That to me is worth whatever extra I'm paying over scroe levels.
 
Thanks. In no rush whatsoever. Frankly would probably prefer a pair of A35's, but I'd go with the 25's if the right pair came up. I don't mind paying premium for a good pair, but they need to be close and in great shape. These look good and they're close, so that's why I was asking if they're a decent deal. I'll wait for a couple of days and see if they sell and if not I'll probably offer $125 and go from there.
 
You can post a WANTED ad on craigslist for some A35's. This might be a better solution then settling for something else. It may take a while, but in the long run you will be happier. Even if he dropped the price, those different woofers on the a25 would bother me.
 
Good point. I'm not sure I "want" them, though. I'm looking/waiting for several different speakers that I think might be a good fit for my ss receivers. The A25's are one, also Original Large Advents(had a wanted ad for those never got a bite), various KLH's....Because I'm in not particular hurry/need I just check what's out there. Today's inquiry was simply that to see if the price was in the acceptable ball park.
 
Wow those just got put up. I sold a pair of Fortes when I got my Cornwalls. Great speakers but I'm all set on the Klipsch front.
 
I've owned both the 25's and the 35's. I personally liked the 25's more than the 35's they just sounded better to me and both had new caps in them. Just my opinion.
 
That is a good price on the Fortes. All drivers *look* good but man, those cabs are crusty.

He says water damage but it looks like 1 of them may have even been on fire at some point :yikes:

Probably do sound fine but if you're looking for WAF, these ain't it!
 
Back
Top Bottom