• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dynaco A25 restoration complete

These, iirc, are the less common Peerless versions, so there are mainly crossover differences with most others. Congrats on the nice rescue!

Very nice of you Pio1980!

Really nice job you two @onwardjames . I really wish I could get my wife to join in with some of my projects. I guess she feels she's doing enough just to nag me about the mess I make. Yeeeessss dear .... I'll get it, Noooo dear .... I won't track it in the house ... Soooory dear, I'll vacuum that up by the door dear. :D
 
Last edited:
Just a follow-up. Got these on the same homemade black stands, powered by the Topping TP-60. While the Topping is a good amp, there's some good things happening, but something isn't quite right. I almost think that old Onkyo A/V receiver I was using was a better match.

Synergy is an odd thing, and the sound is by no means bad, just different. Interesting.

Still loving these sweet little vintage masterpieces.
 
Just a follow-up. Got these on the same homemade black stands, powered by the Topping TP-60. While the Topping is a good amp, there's some good things happening, but something isn't quite right. I almost think that old Onkyo A/V receiver I was using was a better match.

Synergy is an odd thing, and the sound is by no means bad, just different. Interesting.

Still loving these sweet little vintage masterpieces.
They look great man! I’ve heard the A25’s before and loved them. About a year ago I came across an orphaned A25 in great shape that I couldn’t just leave there! Lol even just the one sounds fantastic, but finding another single...well you know next to impossible lol. There was one recently on the auction site at a good price but I didn’t move fast enough to grab it.
 
Synergy is an odd thing, and the sound is by no means bad, just different. Interesting.

It sure is.

Quick story on that. I've had Speakerlab 7's for a log time. Strapped them to many amps. Always liked them. A while back I ended up with a USA made Ashly power amp, 275 wpc in 8 ohm. I had been running my 7's on a 5 wpc tube amp and that actually sounded very good but of course limited volume wise. Then when moving stuff around I hooked the 7's to my minty SX-1010 receiver I always loved and they sounded dark and muddy. So I thought what the heck and strapped the 7's to my Ashly power amp with a small tube amp pre. Those 7's have never sounded so good. The horns are never shouty, the dynamics are crazy, the bass is to die for, huge but never bloaty or over baring. Synergy is a really and important thing. I'm finding amps impart as much change as speakers many times.
 
They look great man! I’ve heard the A25’s before and loved them. About a year ago I came across an orphaned A25 in great shape that I couldn’t just leave there! Lol even just the one sounds fantastic, but finding another single...well you know next to impossible lol. There was one recently on the auction site at a good price but I didn’t move fast enough to grab it.

I tried for years to keep the "Orphan speaker bingo" thread relevant. Certainly SOMEONE here has a lone Dynaco?? Hope you find one, these are very good speakers. While I enjoy the new Morel 37 tweeters, the stock ones I've heard are quite good as well. Best of luck!! Maybe post a WTB or something.

It sure is.

Quick story on that. I've had Speakerlab 7's for a log time. Strapped them to many amps. Always liked them. A while back I ended up with a USA made Ashly power amp, 275 wpc in 8 ohm. I had been running my 7's on a 5 wpc tube amp and that actually sounded very good but of course limited volume wise. Then when moving stuff around I hooked the 7's to my minty SX-1010 receiver I always loved and they sounded dark and muddy. So I thought what the heck and strapped the 7's to my Ashly power amp with a small tube amp pre. Those 7's have never sounded so good. The horns are never shouty, the dynamics are crazy, the bass is to die for, huge but never bloaty or over baring. Synergy is a really and important thing. I'm finding amps impart as much change as speakers many times.

Heck yeah, kfa888!!! My experience with the 1010 was similar. Loudness ON was too much, without was too little. Glad you found your groove.
 
Heck yeah, kfa888!!! My experience with the 1010 was similar. Loudness ON was too much, without was too little. Glad you found your groove.

my SX-1010 shines bright with Vintage Wharfedales, EPI, Advent etc. Just did not sound that great with the big 7's. Was good / acceptable but not great. The difference in sound driving the same Speakerlab 7 with the SX-1010 -v- the Ashly was stunning, it is like you rotated a whole different set of speakers in. Big change in sound.

SX-1010 / 7's = Boomy bass, horn sound, unbalanced

Ashly-tube pre / 7's = Tight detailed bass, great ballance, amazing dynamics, and you would be hard pressed to guess these were horn loaded speakers.

Amp / speaker synergy is huge IMHO.
 
Back
Top Bottom