mfinch0983
New Member
Hey folks, I seldom post here, but have gained TONS of knowledge from these forums. So, thanks in advance for that.
I've got a Dynaco PAS 3 that I restored/modifed about 5 years ago. It has worked like a charm until yesterday when out of no where I started getting a low frequency hum from both L and R sides.
Here are the characteristics of the hum:
Hum is present when there is something in the input and when everything has been taken out.
Hum is about twice as loud when phono/tapehead/special is selected (I assume this is just because of the higher gain, but you never know).
Hum gets louder when you turn the volume up.
Hum is even in both speakers.
My first thought is that it's a power supply or ground issue. In the restoration 5 years ago I replaced the can cap. Replaced the Selenium rectifier with diodes. Replaced the electrolytics in the heater circuit. Replaced all the 12ax7s with known good Telefunkens
As far as modifications:
I bypassed all the tone controls and replaced all the wire in the signal path with shielded cable.
I did this modification as recommended to tighten the tolerance of the phono EQ:
1. Remove the 750pf caps from the selector switch on both channels.
2. Remove the 27K resistors from the selector switch on both channels.
3. Replace the 68pf cap on the PC-6 pc board with a 820pf silver mica cap.
4. Parallel the 100K resistor with a 2 Meg metal film resistor
5. Replace the 2750pf cap with a parallel combination of 2200pf and 470pf.
6. Replace the 4.7Meg resistor with a 2 Meg metal film resistor
7. Replace the two .1uF caps connected between teminals 1 & 3 (left channel) and 7 & 9 (right channel) with a larger .33 or .47 cap at 400 volts or higher.
Today, I did all the voltage measurements from the manual. Nothing was too far out. The DC out of the 12x4 was a little low, which made all the other DC measurements proportionately a little low, but nothing that seemed alarming. I did a "chop stick test" to see if any solder joints (specifically grounds) had been compromised and didn't find anything.
Any one have any idea what might have happened?
I've got a Dynaco PAS 3 that I restored/modifed about 5 years ago. It has worked like a charm until yesterday when out of no where I started getting a low frequency hum from both L and R sides.
Here are the characteristics of the hum:
Hum is present when there is something in the input and when everything has been taken out.
Hum is about twice as loud when phono/tapehead/special is selected (I assume this is just because of the higher gain, but you never know).
Hum gets louder when you turn the volume up.
Hum is even in both speakers.
My first thought is that it's a power supply or ground issue. In the restoration 5 years ago I replaced the can cap. Replaced the Selenium rectifier with diodes. Replaced the electrolytics in the heater circuit. Replaced all the 12ax7s with known good Telefunkens
As far as modifications:
I bypassed all the tone controls and replaced all the wire in the signal path with shielded cable.
I did this modification as recommended to tighten the tolerance of the phono EQ:
1. Remove the 750pf caps from the selector switch on both channels.
2. Remove the 27K resistors from the selector switch on both channels.
3. Replace the 68pf cap on the PC-6 pc board with a 820pf silver mica cap.
4. Parallel the 100K resistor with a 2 Meg metal film resistor
5. Replace the 2750pf cap with a parallel combination of 2200pf and 470pf.
6. Replace the 4.7Meg resistor with a 2 Meg metal film resistor
7. Replace the two .1uF caps connected between teminals 1 & 3 (left channel) and 7 & 9 (right channel) with a larger .33 or .47 cap at 400 volts or higher.
Today, I did all the voltage measurements from the manual. Nothing was too far out. The DC out of the 12x4 was a little low, which made all the other DC measurements proportionately a little low, but nothing that seemed alarming. I did a "chop stick test" to see if any solder joints (specifically grounds) had been compromised and didn't find anything.
Any one have any idea what might have happened?