• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dynaco Stereo 400 Fuse and Fuse Caps

ddcarmon

New Member
Might anyone know where I can buy or replace fuse and fuse caps for a Dynaco Stereo 400? Any help or points in the right direction are greatly appreciated.

Attached is the current fuse/cap that needs to be matched. Dynaco St 400 fuse.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to AK!

Hens teeth. Opt out to new fuse holders.. mounting may be a little job but fire and forget and better than orig.
 
Welcome to AK!

Hens teeth. Opt out to new fuse holders.. mounting may be a little job but fire and forget and better than orig.
Thanks so much for the reply. It does look like a rarity. We are looking to sell the stereo and may have misplaced one of the fuses when moving boxes around. Just want to make sure they are all original parts if possible.
 
Hens teeth.

Until recently, I had assumed this was the end of the story, based entirely on the observation that most units you see for sale are missing the caps. But it turns out Littelfuse still makes holders in exactly the same form factor (or at least, parts are still available). So, if you don't mind replacing both the holder body and cap, you can get an exact replacement. The holder body is a snap-in fit, so you can probably pull it out from the front if you can get a good grip; or, get inside the amp and push the holder body out from inside. Electrical connections are press-on, too.

I don't have access to my Mouser history at the moment, but look for 03480670Z and I think you'll get onto the right track. Caution: The holders do not come with caps (which you would never know from the Mouser info), so make sure to order the caps as well.

By the way, new caps have a more robust tang that locks them into the holder, so I believe they will be less failure-prone than what the Dynacos came with. I do not know if new caps will mate with old holders, so it's safest to replace both parts.
 
@Binkman thank you so much for amazing advice and the points in the right direction. It has lead me to ordering parts that will hopefully fit. You rock! Thanks again for your expertise.
 
I just wanted to add a little footnote to this thread. Because I recently got a dynaco 400. And all I needed was the fuse for the front panel. After two days of digging around I finally found the nomenclature in a dinoco owners manual. You want to use a 1 amp fuse in the two front panel fuse holders. They originally ship with 3 amp fuses for the people who are building them to run tests. But you want to take those out and replace them with 1 amp fuses when you're ready to use it as a stereo. So there you have that. I hope I just save someone to days of looking for that answer 1 amp fuse in the front panel
 
I just wanted to add a little footnote to this thread. Because I recently got a dynaco 400. And all I needed was the fuse for the front panel. After two days of digging around I finally found the nomenclature in a dinoco owners manual. You want to use a 1 amp fuse in the two front panel fuse holders. They originally ship with 3 amp fuses for the people who are building them to run tests. But you want to take those out and replace them with 1 amp fuses when you're ready to use it as a stereo. So there you have that. I hope I just save someone to days of looking for that answer 1 amp fuse in the front panel

good to know. I don’t want to blow my tweeters lol. Sounds very easy to do with this amp. Effortless power I was playing in my garage with jbl L110 and it was so loud I was standing far outside and it was still too loud.
 
Thanks Ray. I need the light cover too. Looks like a Christmas light. Sure it’s a common thing and I could replace both to match.
 

Attachments

  • C3983FED-9A41-46AE-923C-A3ACFDCFCE86.jpeg
    C3983FED-9A41-46AE-923C-A3ACFDCFCE86.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 15
I stupidly didn’t check and bought this along with my other order and it turned out to be the cap only and not the holder so going to call mouser and see if they’ll ship the holder with some other parts they owe me.

ed Fantasia had the proper light I was searching.
Project almost complete then I’ll post pics.
 
The red lens is part of the neon lamp assy so you'll have to replace the neon lamp. Mouser might have them also.
 
Back
Top Bottom