Leviasean15
Active Member
I have been quite fortunate lately and I have found a plethora of wonderful equipment in particularly exceptional shape, including a pair of EV Regency 3's, The Fisher 800b (original tube complement, never seen a soldering iron) and most recently, a Dynakit ST70!
Upon removal of the protective cage, I noticed the absence of any tool markings from inept or speedy technicians on the case, cool! All of the printing is intact and look almost new. Most importantly, staring back at me was the original Dynaco by Mullard tubes, all of them.
The gentleman I purchased the amplifier from was young, in his early 30's and had received it as present and had never bothered with it. I believe his family to be the original owners however. The matching preamp has been misplaced somewhere in one of the family homes, they are looking for it for me to purchase as well.
The choke has seen better days, it reminds me of how my mother enjoyed her toast back in the day! I am inferring that this happened to the choke as the amplifier was probably never biased and then it was put in storage.
I do not have a lot of experience yet servicing my own gear, but I am a good study and a quick learner. I am comfortable with a soldering iron and getting better at reading schematics.
Where should I purchase a replacement choke? They are available online from dynakitparts.com but I figured I would ask the almighty AK community before making a move.
Also, aside from the selenium rectifier, is there anything else that I must change to avoid catastrophic failure down the road?
Thank you for taking the time to read, as always, much appreciated! Also, notice how the dust has fallen undisturbed, like snow!
Upon removal of the protective cage, I noticed the absence of any tool markings from inept or speedy technicians on the case, cool! All of the printing is intact and look almost new. Most importantly, staring back at me was the original Dynaco by Mullard tubes, all of them.
The gentleman I purchased the amplifier from was young, in his early 30's and had received it as present and had never bothered with it. I believe his family to be the original owners however. The matching preamp has been misplaced somewhere in one of the family homes, they are looking for it for me to purchase as well.
The choke has seen better days, it reminds me of how my mother enjoyed her toast back in the day! I am inferring that this happened to the choke as the amplifier was probably never biased and then it was put in storage.
I do not have a lot of experience yet servicing my own gear, but I am a good study and a quick learner. I am comfortable with a soldering iron and getting better at reading schematics.
Where should I purchase a replacement choke? They are available online from dynakitparts.com but I figured I would ask the almighty AK community before making a move.
Also, aside from the selenium rectifier, is there anything else that I must change to avoid catastrophic failure down the road?
Thank you for taking the time to read, as always, much appreciated! Also, notice how the dust has fallen undisturbed, like snow!
Attachments
-
20210209_193446.jpg177.6 KB · Views: 221 -
20210209_180903.jpg80.4 KB · Views: 217 -
20210209_180943.jpg187.7 KB · Views: 219 -
20210209_180858.jpg82.3 KB · Views: 210 -
20210209_180057.jpg114.9 KB · Views: 211 -
20210209_174941.jpg79.3 KB · Views: 206 -
20210209_174841.jpg46.1 KB · Views: 205 -
20210209_180721.jpg152.2 KB · Views: 217 -
20210209_174239.jpg160.3 KB · Views: 213 -
20210209_172549.jpg135 KB · Views: 213
