• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dynamic headroom, SNR, and residual noise question

DFV

New Member
I am researching which used solid state amp or integrated amp to purchase. I am looking at Adcom, NAD, and Yamaha primarily because they are affordable and I am familiar with those brands from obsessing over hi-fi equipment when I was in high school and could not afford ANYTHING! From the hundreds (probably thousands actually) of videos, threads, articles, reviews, etc. that I have read it seems like these three specs are the most important aside from power and ohm ratings:

1. Dynamic headroom
2. SNR
3. Residual noise

So am I just completely wrong? Because hardly anyone refers to these specs!

One amp stands out from the many other MID-fi (not HI-fi!!) amps and integrated amps and receivers that I have looked at: the Yamaha MX-35, a seemingly lowly amp that was only made to power rear speakers with a "measly" 40wpc. The dynamic range of the MX-35 is nothing special but the SNR is 120db and the IHF A Network residual noise is 18µV. The average SNR from the dozens of manuals I read is in the high 90s to mid hundreds with the highest rating that occurred regularly was about 110db. I think I saw 113db once! And the residual noise bottomed out at 30µV with most in the 100s and some in the 200s! So this amp seems very special in those two measurements, which for me are the most important aside from dynamic headroom. Granted, I am a neophyte so what do I know?Q?!?!!?

Anyway, what do you think? Do you have any experience with the Yamaha MX-35? Do your favorite amps have out of the ordinary dynamic headroom or SNR or residual noise?
 
Register to hide this ad
Back
Top Bottom