• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dynaudio Audience 40 + Akai 1135 (vintage) receiver

Davour

New Member
Quick question from a newbie trying to find his way: I currently own a Akai AA135 which drives two Ortofon p35 (Scandyna) speakers, which all sounds pretty good for jazz and classical, and some acoustic-based pop/folk. I had the idea to combine this vintage set-up with a pair of more modern speakers, to able to switch to suit the music - AND, if possible, combine all four speakers as an experiment.

Now, I have found a pair of Dynaudio Audience 40 for a reasonable price, and they seem to be quality speakers, from what I can find. However, they seem to be rather demanding to drive, and my questions are:
1) would the Akai with 2 x 35 W in 8 ohms be able to manage? And
2) if yes, do you think it could carry all four speakers at once without blowing up?

Thanks for your help.
 
Register to hide this ad
I am afraid that your Akai will not do the Dyns any justice at all. They are an 86db speaker and will want a bit more juice to make them sing properly. But, they may sound good to you so give it a try and just hook up the Dyns to see. If the Akai has A/B Speaker selector, you may be able to run both but the volume won't be even across the 2 sets.

I have several speakers in the Audience line including a pair of 42s, which replaced the 40s. I have them in an office setup and driving them with a Lepai 20x20 so your amp will "power" them but nowhere near their capabilities. If you hook them up to some higher end gear with a few hundred watts reserve, you will be blown away at what a small more modern speaker can actually do. They really sing when setup in my main.

https://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/audience/audience-40
 
I am afraid that your Akai will not do the Dyns any justice at all. They are an 86db speaker and will want a bit more juice to make them sing properly. But, they may sound good to you so give it a try and just hook up the Dyns to see. If the Akai has A/B Speaker selector, you may be able to run both but the volume won't be even across the 2 sets.

I have several speakers in the Audience line including a pair of 42s, which replaced the 40s. I have them in an office setup and driving them with a Lepai 20x20 so your amp will "power" them but nowhere near their capabilities. If you hook them up to some higher end gear with a few hundred watts reserve, you will be blown away at what a small more modern speaker can actually do. They really sing when setup in my main.

https://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/audience/audience-40

Thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated! I was going for a vintage set-up and will not buy a new amp anytime soon, I think, but my girlfriend was somewhat disappointed by how it handled her Erykah Badu tracks (and any hip-hop)... might look for more bass-friendly vintage ones then, instead! The Dyns are available for around 180 € and looked a little worn; I guess not a bargain.

And of course, the volume will differ - logical. Thanks for responding despite me not understanding the obvious...
 
My 42s were close to $750 USD when new, not sure of the 40s price, but they are great speakers. I also have the 82s and a 122c for a full HT setup if I want.
 
Close, I think. Around $700 USD. I will consider getting them, though I would prefer the rosewood veneer (these are all black).The contour center is also available. But good to hear they are quality!
 
Contour is steps up. I have the 42s in Rosewood, the 82s in Cherry, and the 122C in black as I purchased them all separately.

For a quality and good sounding small speaker, the 40s or 42s with a reasonable amp would be a good setup.
 
Back
Top Bottom