• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dynavector 10x5 installation

brianjrealto

Well-Known Member
Hey all,

I am installing a new dynavector 10x5 on my Sanyo turntable 825D (mistakingly know as 8250.

This turntable is very heavy and seems well-built surprisingly from Sanyo. Others have mentioned it is of good quality made by CEC.

With the current headshell, the azimuth is off tilted clockwise about 2 degrees. I think I'll have to jump for the rek o cut adjustable azimuth headshell, though it weighs 12 grams. Current headshell weighs 8 grams..

Oddly enough, VTA looks sharp at 90 degrees with the current headshell, just Ned to adjust the azimuth. There's not enough play with the headshell in the arm to compensate for the angle right.

Is adding 4grams mass going to be a problem for this cart?
 
Register to hide this ad
Adding 4 grams wouldn't cause a problem. The only thing that could be affected is the resonant frequency. The calculation result might change from 9 Hz to 8 Hz or thereabouts.
 
Adding 4 grams wouldn't cause a problem. The only thing that could be affected is the resonant frequency. The calculation result might change from 9 Hz to 8 Hz or thereabouts.

I did more searching...saw that I could loosen the screw on the tone arm at the headshell. Loosened that and I was able to adjust the azimuth.

This was a lot easier for me to dial in than my Grado Gold. I like how the styli is more pronounced for better aligning. Easy to eye the azimuth, VTA, etc

Sound is amazing, such a transformation from the Grado/8MZ stylus combo I had before....night and day..

I can tell it will need time, seems stiff as it glides over my records. I have at at 1.8grams for now. But, I'll bump that to 2.0 and see how that sounds.

VTA is straight up 90 degrees. I'll also try and adjust VTA lower by adding an old record under my cork Matt. 1 record thickness seems to be just enough to raise the cork Matt to create a lower VTA needed to set it tail down just right.

I ve only played a couple albums or so...looking forward to breakin this thing in just right!
 
Congrats on your new cart!:thmbsp: I found about 50 hrs to fully break it in. I ran mine at 2.2grams.

Cheers, Plastico
 
Congrats on your new cart!:thmbsp: I found about 50 hrs to fully break it in. I ran mine at 2.2grams.

Cheers, Plastico

It sounds great, like a diamond in the ruff. I can tell it's just "stiff" and will smoothen out as I play more hours on it. I can see a real transformation coming, I bet it will be night and day difference when some hours on it.

I've got about 3 hours playing so far. Makes me realize how "dark" sounding the Grado was even with the upgraded 8MZ stylus.

Late last night, I bumped up to 2grams tracking, anti skate sounds best at about 1.1, added an old record underneath the cork Matt to add height so the VTA is slightly "tail down".

Now, it seems more balanced in all frequencies. Before, I was getting a rise in the top end just a bit. What surprises me most is the control of the bass... Punchy, tight and real verve.

My current headshell is about 8 grams. I'm gonna tinker and add some mass to the headshell and keep tracking at 2grams and see how that sounds just for fun.
 
Did a few more tweeks over the weekend...

1) I tried adding some mass to the headhsell and see if a difference could be heard from the 10x5. 3 grams sounded muddy, settled in adding about 1.5 grams. the added mass seemed to bring about a warmer and smoother presentation with the same detail. At the same time, i increased tracking to 2grams from 1.8.

the only dissapointment is i can really tell what albums I have that are actually worth listening to. wish they had better cartridges for sale back then instead of tracking weights of 2 to 3 grams!

but, the good albums sound fantastic.
 
Last edited:
How many hours would you say you're up to?

I'm really impressed with this cartridge...

listening more last night, there were moments where the soundstage becomes more forward and fluid. the back and forth is becoming more often as I play more albums.

maybe 2 more hours play added last night. My turntable is matched with this cart very well. I had reservations if my turntable would be quality enough to handle a this cart.

anyone else experience a similar break in where the soundstage seems more forward at times during the early hours?
 
Back
Top Bottom