• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Earliest amps with 1/4 inch stereo headphone output

Sanfansui

Member
Hello folks,
Really curious about this. I was wondering, what were some of the earliest preamps, integrated amps, or power amps that had a 1/4 inch stereo headphone output? Please include the first year that the amp was made, if you know it.
 
Register to hide this ad
earliest ones that come to mind are probably the Fisher stereo recievers. The 800C, 500C and 400 all have one. I believe all three started production in 1963.
 
HH Scott released the integrated 222c in 1962 which has a stereo 1/4 jack. The kit version LK-48 did not have the 1/4 headphone jack.
 
The list of early stereos that didn't have a phone jack would be shorter.

Jack
 
Last edited:
The HH Scott 299c was released in 1961. Had a 1/4 headphone jack
 
Me neither. But to be fair, I'm not into recievers, or many integrated amps.
It's been mostly separates. I've never bought a receiver in my life, tube or SS. A few SS receivers have been given to me, but that's it. I do have a separate headphone amp. I'm kind of surprised most consoles didn't have them.
I don't think I've ever seen a console with a headphone jack.
 
I'm just considering integrated and recievers that I own. I wouldn't expect it on a stand-alone power amp but the Sherwood S-7000, S-5500II, Stromberg ASR-433 and the Fisher TA-600 all do not have headphone jacks.
 
I'm just considering integrated and recievers that I own. I wouldn't expect it on a stand-alone power amp but the Sherwood S-7000, S-5500II, Stromberg ASR-433 and the Fisher TA-600 all do not have headphone jacks.
True, but I was thinking of tube preamps. There were those headphone boxes you could buy back then and connect to the speaker terminals with resistors inside to drop the voltage. Most I saw had two 1/4" jacks.
 
history-of-headphones
when-were-headphones-invented

Although the original question isn't answered specifically in these articles, they're still fun to read.
history-of-headphones
when-were-headphones-invented

Although the original question isn't answered specifically in these articles, they're still fun to read.
I have a pair of the Aftershock Bluetooth bone conducting phones I saw in that link. I like them.
You can still hear what's going on around you unless you really crank them up.
I even bough a couple pairs for my grand daughters. Now they can't ignore there mother. :D I remember seeing the Bone Phone back around 1980. They were a weighted bag with a FM radio that went around your neck laying on your collar bones. They sounded pretty good. Most were sold around here to snow skiers.
 
True, but I was thinking of tube preamps. There were those headphone boxes you could buy back then and connect to the speaker terminals with resistors inside to drop the voltage. Most I saw had two 1/4" jacks.

none of my old preamps have one either, though I think the Knight possibly could feed a set.
 
Back
Top Bottom