• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ebay items?

Rakz

Active Member
I've seen some promising gear at ebay, partially working, therefore low price. What do you guys think of this tu-9900? What can the problem possibly be?
tu-9900

Also, I'm thinking of buying a au-919 (always wanted one, one of the alltime best looking integrated amps?), the seller says that one channel goes out frequently, and the problem only gets worse. Worth buying? Hard to fix?

Finally, has the prices for the extremely goodlooking tu-919 recently increased? On ebay there's two of them, both around $400...

/Erik
 
Register to hide this ad
Crap shoot

There is a big pucker factor when buying working items on eBay. . . . Buying non-working items especially of this caliber where a few bucks for repair will bring big returns, can be rough.

Seems to me that I saw a working model like the one here recently close at around 600 bucks or more. I would think a hundred bucks or less would fix it. If it was mine, and I know nothing about repair, I would at least check out what it would cost to repair before listing it as "Non-Working"

I have only bought one stated "Non-Working" item that was a Pioneer SX-1250 that the seller said just quit working. I sent him about a dozen emails where each time he swore it had not been touched that it just quit and that was all. . .

Well when I got it it only had about 1/4th the amount of screws left. It was obvious that it had been diss assembled completly then thrown back together good enough for a decent picture. . . .

I will never again buy anything stated "Non-Working" unless I know the seller and have a good idea what its going to take to fix it.

I see the same "Buzz" words in this auction. . . "I turned it on and it worked for a couple minutes". . . . . Use your own judgement but be careful. . .
 
Thanks for the advice... I agree that many people use the phrase "I haven't tested it with speakers, but all lights are working and it looks nice" followed by "sold AS-IS".

But one channel that goes out frequently and comes back, possible causes?
 
Intermittant channel on AU-919

It is very likely the Connected/Separated slide switch on the back of the amp that is causing this. I bought an AU-919 on ebay last year with this symptom for a discount price and, as I suspected, it was the switch. Why did I suspect it? I owned an AU-819 for 24 years and discovered the symptom/cause. Most likely it needs a good cleaning or replacement. Good luck finding that part!
 
Back
Top Bottom