• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Econo-wave vs Klipsch Cornwall

cuthien

Active Member
Anyone here have both of Econowave and Klipsch cornwall who can share opinion on its strength and weakness. I have a pair of Econowave already but heard lot of nice things about cornwall and very tempt to try them as there is a nice pair listed for sale locally, Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Isn't the Econowave a custom DIY speaker made with any enclosure you have lying around. It would depend on the Econowave enclosures. I would say the Cornwall would be better if you like 3 ways. If you like 2 ways, maybe the Econowaves depending on the horn and driver you use. I do like the Altec/JBL sound better than the Klipsch sound with the exception being the Klipschorn. Altec/JBL drivers generally sound better to my ears than the Electrovoice/Atlas/Klipsch drivers. The University drivers are a little better to my ears though. It's all preference and they are both horns. My interest has really gravitated to ribbons and panels as my ears get older and more sensitive. Econowave with Altec/JBL drivers and you will have a serious competitor for your Cornwalls. I have a pair of Cornwalls and really love them but they are paled a bit by the various Altecs I have. I'm not that crazy for the Pyle drivers used in the Econwaves folks are doing here- I know the key word is econo but they sound kinda harsh to me. Put out the money for good horns and drivers. You get what you pay for, really!!
 
Klipsch Cornwalls are certainly fine speakers and has been stated have a sound of their own. The Econowave the same thing. Comparing a 3 way and a 2 way speaker is an interesting event and can reveal much to the listener.

I am finally settled into the 2 way camp, provided the drivers and components are a premium variety when possible. The 2 way Altec sound has certainly captured me- at a cost for sure. However the Econowave sound with the better 15" Altec or JBL mid woofers and B&C or even the 902 Altec horn drivers are more than suitable for my taste, even over the Cornwalls. I have even found the mid priced 15"s from Daton used with Selenium 220TI driver to be mostly acceptable in reasonable volume useage.

If you are a Klipsch fan not much will persuade you otherwise from the Cornwalls. I think in a direct shoot out a premium driver packed Econowave would probably surprize many Cornwall lovers and even bring over a few. The sound from a well built 2 way can be very engaging. There is a lot to said about and heard from premium driver horn 2 ways!

DC
 
Isn't the Econowave a custom DIY speaker made with any enclosure you have lying around.
Only if that's how you build them. There are nearly 200 different builds shown in the thread, some putting the majority of commercial offerings to shame.

Read up over there; everything is linked from Post #1, including the 90+ "Officially" registered projects. :yes:

I'm not that crazy for the Pyle drivers used in the Econwaves folks are doing here.
Selenium or B&C only, no Pyle drivers in the EconoWave design.... :no:
 
I have a pair of Cornwalls and really love them but they are paled a bit by the various Altecs I have.
That's really helpfull info as I am a big fan of Altecs and JBL. They have that big and bold sound which is very pleasant to my ears :yes: I will pass on the cornwall for now. Thnx
 
Back
Top Bottom