• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Eenie-Meenie .....

Bill W.

tin-ears
Decisions, decisions. I promised to help a budding audiophile friend get started. I have both a 5000A (factory replaced driver boards) and a G-4700. I don't need both, I LIKE both. Both units are in very good condition, excellent tuners, almost equal (55 wpc vs 50 wpc) power, and purty. They will be driving a pair of Advent Legacy II speaks. All things being equal, which would you get rid of, which would you keep? This is tough guys! Advice is eagerly sought.
Bill
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm with Casey. A good condition 5000a with case has that classic, vintage Sansui look. Plus its built like a tank. Just my opinion.
 
All things being equal, your friend may have a preference. Why not let him listen, and help him learn how to discern between pieces. That would be a valuable skill for him to acquire, and would serve him well. You and he might have complementary tastes; he may like what you don't, and vice versa. Somewhere down the road, he could return the favour, and make a gift of gear, to you, about which he has no strong attachment, that you like very much.
 
luvinvinyl:
Excellent points! I hadn't actually considered either. I'm not sure of what type of music he actually prefers, though I do know he at least likes classic rock. I was just going to bring down one of the receivers and the speakers, help him set it all up and give a listen. (He does have a CD player ... A Sony changer as I recall)

I do know that he goes to garage sales and such, as I met him at the town's annual city-wide sale yesterday. Return favors could be in the offing here. I'm becoming more inlined to let the G-4700 go. I REALLY do like the 5000A. Sounds great, and has a sort of a classic McIntosh look to it. Thanx for the input.
Bill
 
Back
Top Bottom