• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Effect of swapping 8-ohm JBL LE20 with 160-ohm LE20???

StarMover

AlienToAllThingsAudio
The other day I purchased two sets of vintage JBL speakers at the thrift store, a pair of 4310 studio monitors and a pair of L-77 Lancers, both outfitted with LE20 Tweeters.

The dust cap on one of the 8-ohm LE20s mounted in the 4310 is dented, so I had the idea to swap them out with the perfect LE20s from the Lancers...

but when I pulled the LE20 from the L77, I discovered it to be a 16-ohm driver as opposed to the 8 ohm version mounted in the 4310s. Otherwise, they are identical.

So, should I exchange these tweeters? Will the difference in impedence have any effect on the performance or the sound? :scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks Dave. I thought not.

I wetted the dust cap with a sponge to soften it up, then used a pin to pop it back out. It looks better, so that'll just have to do.
 
LE20 Impedance

The other day I purchased two sets of vintage JBL speakers at the thrift store, a pair of 4310 studio monitors and a pair of L-77 Lancers, both outfitted with LE20 Tweeters.

The dust cap on one of the 8-ohm LE20s mounted in the 4310 is dented, so I had the idea to swap them out with the perfect LE20s from the Lancers...

but when I pulled the LE20 from the L77, I discovered it to be a 16-ohm driver as opposed to the 8 ohm version mounted in the 4310s. Otherwise, they are identical.
So, should I exchange these tweeters? Will the difference in impedence have any effect on the performance or the sound? :scratch2:

I have quite a few LE20s laying about looking for a home. The foilcal an the back IDs some as 16 ohm and some as 8 ohm. Guess what? The DC resistance on all is ~3 ohms and the approx AC impedance is 5 ohms. Apparently JBL didn't consider actual impedance of the LE20 all that important both in terms of labeling and of nominal impedance.

Bottom line: Check the impedance of your LE20s. They may be all the same (8 ohms) regardless of what the label states.
 
Interesting.. I just took rating on the label for granted...

That'll suck because I went to the trouble of putting it back in and re-gluing the decorative cover... It was a bitch to get off in the first place without bending it up.
 
Interesting.. I just took rating on the label for granted....
LE20s all have the same impedance, despite what they say on the foilcal. I measured and reported that in another thread here, the L77 tweeter upgrade thread, as I recall. Manufacturers played fast and loose with the specs back in the olden days. Some still do.

Measure.... :yes:

Does anone know of an LE20 app where it was NOT run with a pot?
There are some with switched-resistor attenuation, the subject L77 being among those:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L77 Lancer ts.pdf
 
Back
Top Bottom