• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Effects of MC Loading

I couldn't find the link to IAR #5.

:idea:
Neither could I, probably because there isn't one. I remember reading Moncrieff's IAR way back when. IIRC it had low sales compared to TAS and other 'high-end' publications. Did an eBay search this morning and didn't find a single issue. Although I gave up after about 300 hits that weren't the audio magazine.
 
Last edited:
I couldn't find the link to IAR #5.

:idea:
I requested to buy IAR #5 a few years back and received no answer and considered buying all of them. JP has put in a request twice now to buy all of them. I am going to wait and see if he has better luck than I had. That is the link we both used, putting in our request with the e-mail address available there.
good luck
 
I wonder if this all applies to HOMCs like a Sumiko Blue Point or SAE 1000LT. They both specify 47K and the SAE manual states that loading is non-critical.

Whilst we have more costly transducers in our phono cartridge arsenal, we adore the sound of our DENON DL-110 High Output MC cartridge, which recently had its cantilever upgraded to boron and an even tinier elliptical nude diamond stylus installed, by SKYANALOG here in China.

As a daily runner, a brand-new DENON DL-110 is entirely our kind of sound, for our sort of money! (Typically ~$US200.00) At this price, one can fairly painlessly change cartridges every 300-400 hours, minimising any chance of vinyl groove damage.

BORON DENON DL-110 A.png

(Worth noting that the humble DENON does not fully deliver on the promise until it is run through a high-quality MC phono stage - for at least ten-hours of play-back. We've tried our high quality MM phono stage and there is really no comparison... in our system! ;))

DENON has always recommended that the DL-110 be run with a 47K impedance load, but that loading has always made the DENON sound a bit too brash and sibilant - and worse, highlights the minutest of imperfections in the vinyl grooves.

For more worn vinyl, running the baby DENON at 100R removes the sound of all but the very worst groove damage, and still provides a reasonable top-end. Not to bad and far better than listening to clicks and pops!

That said, we typically spin pristine vinyl, so we normally load the DENON DL-110 at 1K, which provides a very nice compromise between revelation and suppression.

The sound outputs that result from this loading are so audibly apparent - read: night and day - that even our 6-year-old can hear them!

And yes, a few judicious clicks on our passive preamp stepped attenuator are required, in order to restore volume parity, when any loading changes are made.

This same phenomenon is apparent on all of our MC transducers and accordingly, we have carefully discerned our favourite loading settings for each of them... in our system.

The fascinating thing is that the measured evidence in this thread suggests that we are hearing things... Imagining it all! :bigok:

Just fascinating!

Will this rather compelling evidence change how we load our MC cartridges? Not a chance! :biggrin:

Why? Well probably because we enjoy listening to music far too much, to needlessly persevere with second-best sound.

I am not claiming to know all the answers, but truthfully, I am sure that this is another case of measuring the wrong things, and thereby drawing the wrong conclusions.

What I'm not 100% sure about - having read this entire thread - is whether or not others in this thread agree with my previous statement - or not.

Maybe I'm a solitary heretic here?

As the owner of a springless LP12 hot-rod, it would not be the first time - nor I suspect, the last. :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
index.php

(Worth noting that the humble DENON does not fully deliver on the promise until it is run through a high-quality MC phono stage - for at least ten-hours of play-back. We've tried our high quality MM phono stage and there is really no comparison... in our system! ;))
My Denon loves tubed phono stages loaded with Raytheon 5751 windmill tubes. These bring out all the glory of Denon coils. :)

Use Ta Be My Girl.
Off O'Jay's "So Full Of Love." Philadelphia International Records. 25AP 982. CBS-Sony pressing (Japan). 1978.
Run-Out: 25AP - 982A2 1 A ! + 〄
 
Back
Top Bottom