• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Eico 2080

Jcricket

not someday, but today
Subscriber
Hey folks, I have the chance to get an Eico model 2080 integrated amp. It has 7591 PP outputs in it(along with four brand new tubes). I haven't seen it yet, but will tonight. The pics look like it has some very substantil iron in it. Does anyone have any expereince with this model? Good/bad?

More info to come.
Mark
 

Attachments

  • eico1.jpg
    eico1.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 243
  • eico2.jpg
    eico2.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 173
Register to hide this ad
I THINK it's a restyled ST70... dunno if transformers are the same. I have a partial schematic - looks similar to ST70, except that 6SN7s were changed to 6FQ7.
 
Hi Mark --

The 2080 is a remake of the old ST-70 that Eico produced, with updated looks and an improved line amp stage configuration. Miniature tubes are used in place of where the old 6SN7s of the ST-70 were, and the iron is all exactly the same, part number and all. In my opinion, it is a much improved ST-70, so if it's in any kind of good shape, I'd go for it. Good luck!

Dave
 
I got it along with an Eico stereo fm tuner and a garrad synchro 65 TT. It even came with a brand new in the box quad of eico 7591a output tubes. The thing is a bit dusty but in excellent shape. I can't say how much I paid or I'd likely get arrested for grand theft.

The guy was really nice and threw in a dozen rca manual and other electronics books and some old meteres and a box of spare tubers. Looks like a quad of 5881's in ther that need to be tested.


Back to the Eico, I'll post some pics in a bit, bring it up on a variac and see what happens. Impressions to follow. I think I am going to use this with my bozaks - looks like an incredible combination.

Mark
 
Last edited:
Kinda looks more like a remake of the EICO ST-40. However, any 7591 based amplifier should be a keeper!
 
Kinda looks more like a remake of the EICO ST-40. However, any 7591 based amplifier should be a keeper!
I believe it's fixed bias, which would be more like the ST-70. Although I do have to agree the way the OPTs stand up they resemble the ST-40.

Being a newer design it possibly has some PECs in it too like some of the other 2xxx series. A nice find.
 
Last edited:
I think I'm gonna be sick. :P

WHy for? If you want call me and I'll turn it up so you can hear it on the phone.:D

Its NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Here are some pics too.
 

Attachments

  • P1010032.jpg
    P1010032.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 221
  • P1010033.jpg
    P1010033.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 174
I believe it's fixed bias, which would be more like the ST-70. Although I do have to agree the way the OPTs stand up they resemble the ST-40.

Being a newer design it possibly has some PECs in it too like some of the other 2xxx series. A nice find.

hey-Hey!!!,
I had a 2050, and recall it was an up rated ST40...so I am not sure pushing 40W/channel out ov a pair of 7591's is a good idear. I'm also pretty sure it has troublesome PEC's in it. I took out those for the last stages and output grid coupling caps and grid resistors. The amp sounded much better to my ears with discrete stuff in there. And you can get a bit more conservative with the grid resistor value too...think 150kOhm v. 330k or so.
cheers,
Douglas
 
I got it along with an Eico stereo fm tuner and a garrad synchro 65 TT. It even came with a brand new in the box quad of eico 7591a output tubes. The thing is a bit dusty but in excellent shape.
The guy was really nice and threw in a dozen rca manual and other electronics books and some old meteres and a box of spare tubers. Looks like a quad of 5881's in ther that need to be tested.



Mark

Sounds like he was happy that it all was going to a good home. :thmbsp:
 
I'm currently reconfiguring an Eico 2080. I wanted to simplify the line stage (remove tone controls) and add a motorized remote-controlled volume pot. It's a work in progress . . .

Anyway. one of my goals was to get rid of the butt-ugly front panel and plastic knobs. A standard rack-mount panel works great. Here is a layout of my design.
 

Attachments

  • eico-2080-panel.jpg
    eico-2080-panel.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Hi Douglas,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm delighted to share sources, methods, schematics, etc. for the asking. But right now, spare time is pretty scarce . . . I have lots and lots of unfinished projects, half-completed article(s) intended for publication, etc. Not to mention a growing small business . . . I'm just beginning to say no to my friends and family to fix their computers, iPods, stereos, TVs, etc. (I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about!)

Having said that, let me know what I can do for you and I'll tell you if I can or can't.

Buzz
 
actually had it up for sale. I decided to keep it and can't find hte delete cl email. Not for sale now.

BTW - hello and welcome to ak. Saw that was your first post. Why don't you go to introductions nad tell us some about yourself.

Mark
 
a side question:
What would be the complete tube compliment of a st40?

2 12ax7
4 12dw7
4 7591
1 gz34

ST40innards.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom