• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Eico or HH scott?

mcgarick

Super Member
Hi
What's the opinion on these, which one would you grab if you were to choose.
I want to try a vintage tube amp, a restored one. These are the two choices I have.

Eico HF-81 or H H Scott 299c

What get your vote?

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
For me it would be the SCOTT
IMO bigger-better iron, better rectification (5AR4),more power (7591), better tone controls with scratch & rumble filters, better input & EQ flexibility (mono LP + twin mag hi/lo RIAA phono, NARTB tape),
and I would venture to say having heard them both (and even at the risk of contradicting the 2006 Stereophile article) better sounding (once properly restored)
JMO
WOT
 
Thats a loaded question if I've seen one. It's sure to open a can of worms. I don't think you can go wrong either way. If it were me I'd opt for the Scott.
 
Maybe it's an acquired taste......the Eico HF81 is one ugly dog....must sound a lot better than it looks.

If you really want to use EL84/7189 you might consider the Scott 299A or B instead of the 299C (7591's)
 
No hesitation here. I would go for the 299C. However, if both were available, I would grab both in a New York minute. Of course, you have to realize that I am biased toward Scott. (Pun definitely intended;))
 
AFAIK all Scotts are fixed bias except the 222.
They're both fine amps when restored, though the phono section on the HF-81 is probably a weak point on a stock unit in comparison to the Scott IMHO. The variables of tube complement and the components used in the restore are going to make a sonic difference between two specimens of the same model. I don't think you can wrong with either one if they've been under the knife of a competent technician.
 
Don't forget about the Sherwood S5000 - I'd put it in the same league as the Scott, for perhaps a bit less money. The HF81 is, objectively, overpriced right now relative to its capabilities. :)
 
Don't forget about the Sherwood S5000 - I'd put it in the same league as the Scott, for perhaps a bit less money. The HF81 is, objectively, overpriced right now relative to its capabilities. :)

IMHO, the Sherwood will blow both of them away.

Maybe that's over-stating it a bit. The Sherwood will likely have better dynamic range and more "open" sound than either of the others...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Hi
What's the opinion on these, which one would you grab if you were to choose.
I want to try a vintage tube amp, a restored one. These are the two choices I have.

Eico HF-81 or H H Scott 299c

What get your vote?

Thanks

I would get the HF-81 as it is an EL-84 amplifier and for the way the cheap-ass chassis on it is designed; it is far easier to repair or modify. It has a great reputation for sound quality too. (I also love Scott and have a pile of them so maybe I am just bored and want to try something I don't have?)
 
IMHO, the Sherwood will blow both of them away.

Maybe that's over-stating it a bit. The Sherwood will likely have better dynamic range and more "open" sound than either of the others...

Regards,
Gordon.

yup .. .I've got a Sherwood 8000MKIV, and it's a great amp . . haven't even totally recapped it yet, and it sounds amazing :music:

I think you better get one of each so you'll know for sure :yes:
 
Well, the 299C has 7591 outputs, doesn't it? If so, then I'd say the HF-81. If not, then the Scott. Both share the challenge of somewhat :-) over-stressed (i.e., under-spec'd) power transformers. I think Heyboer can do replacements for both (I know they can for the HF-81). The Scott definitely is the more attractivee :-) The phono section in the Scott is doubtless better; I just use a nice, modern outboard phono preamp with my HF-81.

I've got a Sherwood S-5500II (?) in the basement; one of the PP 7591 amps. It definitely sounds good, but I've never set it up for critical listening.

I have two Scott 222Cs (well, three on site at the moment, 'cause I still need to rehab Birddogs!) and an LK-72. I really cannot say too much about them, though, because the 222Cs don't work (one almost certainly has a bad PT) and the LK-72 has low output in one preamp channel. Birddog's 222C, which is absolutely beautiful, has low output in one phono channel. I definitely have a sense that, at this late date, the Scott gear needs more to get it going than EICO or Sherwood equipment of the same vintage. That may or may not be significant.
 
Theres a guy on Audiogon who is selling these two, restored,recapped and checked out. His feedback is 100%, I guess I really want a Scott 299B with the el84 tube, refurbished.
But its not available anywhere as far as I know. I want to get a great sounding vintage amp to try and use, and enjoy, I want a fixed biased design.
 
Theres a guy on Audiogon who is selling these two, restored,recapped and checked out. His feedback is 100%, I guess I really want a Scott 299B with the el84 tube, refurbished.
But its not available anywhere as far as I know. I want to get a great sounding vintage amp to try and use, and enjoy, I want a fixed biased design.

Note that the early stock 299B's came with 7189's, not EL84's. I've even seen a couple later version 299B's that had 7591's. Perhaps before they got the official 299C labels on them.

. . Falcon
 
I got a Scott 233 a simplified version of the 299c I believe and while I very limited experience with tube amps I am tickled to death with how mine sounds. 7591'a all!

not to mention the beautiful Silver face (sorry just not into the Brass/gold look of the 299's
 
I got a Scott 233 a simplified version of the 299c I believe and while I very limited experience with tube amps I am tickled to death with how mine sounds. 7591'a all!

not to mention the beautiful Silver face (sorry just not into the Brass/gold look of the 299's

What's wrong with 7591s?
 
Never had the pleasure of listening to either amp, but if had to choose, based on output tube, I prefer the sound of EL84's. The HF-81 has gotten a lot of good press in recent years, so expect to spend probably more than the higher-powered Scott.
 
What's wrong with 7591s?

Nothing, 'specially now that decent new production is available and prices of NOS have consequently abated.

It's just that every 7591 (and 7868, which is the same tube in a different bottle) amp/receiver I've heard sounds good, but lacks that ultimate spark of real life. Conversely, I think that every EL84/7189 amp (even push-pull, pentode-mode) I've heard has it. The HF-81 has it in spades. Even the modest Dyna SCA-35 has wonderful midrange and decent everything else.

Yeah, I own some 7591 amps and receivers, too... I even used to have a single-ended 7591 stereo "integrated" amp from a Westinghouse hifi (which I passed on to Markus). I am not ant-7591; I just prefer other output tubes based on experience.
 
Back
Top Bottom