• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EL 34 thoughts ?

Hey
If been using the electro harmonics 6ca7 fat bottle. I've read they are some of the better currently produced el34 type tubes.Unfortunately I haven't compared them to anything else. Just my .02 . Eric
Jim McShane likes these as a high value option, I have them in a Marantz 8. These are KT beam tubes, EL34 is a pentode type, they are generally otherwise interchangable.
 
Jim McShane likes these as a high value option, I have them in a Marantz 8. These are KT beam tubes, EL34 is a pentode type, they are generally otherwise interchangable.
I may be looking into a quad of fat bottles. I'm currently burning in a quad of the plain EH EL34s. So far, they have brought back my bass after swapping poly caps for PIO, but the roll off in the high end is almost too much. Like someone rubbed lard all over my cymbals. I'm hoping they'll open up over the next 20 hours or so.
 
Coincidentally I had the same issue with a single ended EL34 tube amp from China - its sounded fine (it was detailed and clear etc) but not "tubey."

I started rolling tubes and then just decided to get rid as I had a vintage ECL86 amp with sound I way preferred.

I think this is the kind of sound the chinese like - kind of bright and forward - and even their tube amps sound like this.

I could be generalising of course.
 
Coincidentally I had the same issue with a single ended EL34 tube amp from China - its sounded fine (it was detailed and clear etc) but not "tubey."

I started rolling tubes and then just decided to get rid as I had a vintage ECL86 amp with sound I way preferred.

I think this is the kind of sound the chinese like - kind of bright and forward - and even their tube amps sound like this.

I could be generalising of course.
The sound in my ChiFi SEPP varies pretty wildly from tube to tube. The KT77s were thin and forward on the top and bottom. The current EL34s are pretty rolled off on the top, but very nice mids and lows. The 6CA7s that came stock with it were great highs and mids, but lost some oomph around 60-70hz range. I'm still looking for that "all around" sound.
 
to my ears these Shuguang OEMs sound better than JJ and Sveltana. they are probably the best amazing value thing i have ever bought in my life. 37 bucks for a matched quad. i bought two quads just because they are so amazing.
 
to my ears these Shuguang OEMs sound better than JJ and Sveltana. they are probably the best amazing value thing i have ever bought in my life. 37 bucks for a matched quad. i bought two quads just because they are so amazing.

Totally agree! Winged C's (the supposedly great and expensive ones!) and Tesla's do not sound nearly as good as the Shuguang EL-34B. Not even close IMHO.
 
I like the Chinese EL34’s. I was using Russian labelled Mullard fakes in my ST70 clone. One channel’s bias kept wandering so I pulled them and stuck in Valve Arts. The bias is holding steady and the amp sounds so much better now. The Mullards didn’t have a whole lot of hours on them either.
 
Have any of you noticed that some EL34 tubes are physically larger than others? I've seen some 34s that were diff size before..later I was told that one pair may have been 6ca7 which are basically the same thing (6Ca7 being the american tube designation).
 
Have any of you noticed that some EL34 tubes are physically larger than others? I've seen some 34s that were diff size before..later I was told that one pair may have been 6ca7 which are basically the same thing (6Ca7 being the american tube designation).
Yes, EL34 power pentodes are sometimes referred as "Continental slimmies" for the shape and European mfgr sources (Mullard G.B. excepted).
6CA7 beam tetrodes are sometimes referred as " fat boys" for their shape, internally different but generally interchangeable with EL34 power pentodes, internal structure differs in operating physics with similar results.
 
I've been using TungSol EL34B's in my VTA. I'm very happy with them. Plenty of detail, a tad of midrange warmth and a very nice and extended top end.

I've found that two problems that are common with EL34's. A soft top end and an overpowering mid that can wipe out the bass detail. TungSols seems to have tamed those problems.

Of course a lot depends on your amps design. Especially it's driver stage design. A simple splitter design gives more warmth and a IMHO a nicer sound. A LTP design gives more of a High Rez SS detail sound.

Even a new minimal quality tube amp will not sound that much different than a SS amp. That warmth is the result of old worn out parts in vintage stereos. Basically something that is in need of restoration. That being said, there are differences in presentation that are wonderful in both tubes and SS. You just have to find your setups magic combo..
 
I run the TS EL34's you referenced, and really like them a lot. I tried a pair of Electro-Harmonix 6CA7, but the TS offer more of what I would call "that tube sound"
 
IMO the EL34 has that tubey sound with a lush and liquid midrange. Right now I am using the Mullard reissue EL34 and they sound excellent. Along with its tubey midrange the highs and lows are very nice too.
 
Back
Top Bottom