• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EL34 vs. 6L6GC vs. 7591 ? Truth - Who's Best !

very popular in hifi
Very? I don't know about that. It was certainly popular in the early 50s before the EL84 really took off, but I can't think of a single *popular* 6V6GT amp from the last 30 years.

I do like the tube and it can sound good, I'm just talking popular in hifi.
 
Very? I don't know about that.
now you do
It was certainly popular in the early 50s before the EL84 really took off, but I can't think of a single *popular* 6V6GT amp from the last 30 years.
sure, but i see 6V6 maggies and stromberg carlsons being rebuild, resold left and right...heck the gateway drug of tube amps is the st-70, the gateway drug of tube DIY may be the magnavox 175. then u build a marblewood...theres the HK A300 as well
I do like the tube and it can sound good, I'm just talking popular in hifi.
me too

 
Last edited:
I'm trying to think of a tube that's coveted by guitar players but not hifi people, and I can't think of one.
The other way around, tubes coveted by Hi-Fi folks and not guitar amp dudes — is the round plate TungSol (USA) VT-231/6SN7GT.

Every sample I've heard in a guitar amp was microphonic to some degree. I know of aftermarket products and DIY tricks audiophiles use to help reduce this issue. These don't work in combo guitar amps, which are toted around.
 
Ah, I was thinking commercially produced amps you could get at a hifi store. There's that Audio Note kit too.
If we are talking kits, vintage, DIY, etc. And sun valley
sure. you named a tube thats popular in hifi today.
here are some current amps
Screenshot 2024-12-12 at 12.18.24 PM.png
index.php
Screenshot 2024-12-12 at 12.20.20 PM.png
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2024-12-12 at 12.18.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-12-12 at 12.18.40 PM.png
    121.5 KB · Views: 96
Ah, I was thinking commercially produced amps you could get at a hifi store. There's that Audio Note kit too.
If we are talking kits, vintage, DIY, etc. And sun valley
there are probably more 6V6 amps than hifi stores these days.
 
The 6V6 is popular for some hifi folks. Several of us have built this project. Actually several of us just in my city. But, it's DIY not commercial. I have some Bell 6V6 PP amps, the 2199 model.
 
the gateway drug of tube amps is the st-70
I think to be fair you would have to include Heathkit and Eico in the amp arena too. And of course, the progenitor of them all is the "Williamson and/or Mullard" circuits.
 
considering how many amps are copies of either the Williamson or the Mullard schematics, I'd have to agree on that one.
 
I think to be fair you would have to include Heathkit and Eico in the amp arena too. And of course, the progenitor of them all is the "Williamson and/or Mullard" circuits.
the tube curious is likely to come across the dynaco or maggie first.
 
275#3.jpg275#2.jpg275 #1.jpg
Carver.jpg
One of the finest 'kits' available at any price point.
Each 'kit' purchased today includes a free 4 day get away vacation voucher.
 
Very? I don't know about that. It was certainly popular in the early 50s before the EL84 really took off, but I can't think of a single *popular* 6V6GT amp from the last 30 years.

I do like the tube and it can sound good, I'm just talking popular in hifi.
Poindexter's Musical Machine?

I don't know anything about guitar amps , but the EL84 is not that common. Is it ?

Regards,
 
Last edited:
there are probably more 6V6 amps than hifi stores these days.

Perhaps they're better represented when you live than me.
sure. you named a tube thats popular in hifi today.
here are some current amps
View attachment 3369120
index.php
View attachment 3369125

Lol yes, grey market non UL listed Chi-Fi and DIY applications seem quite common. Nobody I know uses one though, and I've never been asked to repair one, but I have worked on countless EL34, KT88, 6550, EL84 and even 300B, KT120 and KT150 amps. IMO the "tube curious" option is more like a PrimaLuna than a Dyanco these days. The days of a decent used ST70 for $300 are about over. The only 6V6GT amps I get to play with on any sort of a regular basis say Fender on them. I only stock the tube for guitar or perhaps old radio applications. Now this could be simply because people who own 6V6 amps do their own work. In any case I do like the tube, just as I like most tubes.
 
Back
Top Bottom