• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Elac B6 - great sound but vinyl looks cheap so I veneered them.

bluehills5

Active Member
I'm on a bit of a veneer kick at the moment - did my Pioneer SX-650, a Marantz WC-22 case and then another SX-650. I recently bought a set of Elac B6 speakers and while I'm very happy with the sound, the black vinyl covering was starting to grate my sensibilities as it did not match the other vintage wooden components in my system so I decided to rip off the vinyl and slap on real veneer.
Here's how I did it..

Magnetic grills
I decided to also swap out the peg mounted grill attachers and to use magnets so the wood look is undisturbed. I was concerned the magnets might interfere with the speaker magnets but then found the Elac UniFi speakers also use magnetic grills so I felt OK. I used "6mm X 10mm Neodymium Disc Strong Rare Earth N50 Small Fridge Magnets" and they just needed the holes drilled out in the wood with a 15/64" drill (about 5.8mm) and 10mm deep. The rubber holes in the grills were also drilled out and the magnets needed some force to insert so I'm confident they wont pull out. In the front wood, I also glued them in even though they were tight in the holes and needed to be tapped in with a piece of wood. Oh- and I made the mistake of putting in the magnets before matching polarity and so I had to pull some out and turn them around. You want to have them all the same +/- direction so you can swap left/right grills or turn them upside down if you so desire.

Veneer.
First, I have no expert tools save 2 sash clamps (4 would be better), a Stanley knife, a few scraps of sand paper and some flat scraps of Melamine boards to clamp the veneer when drying. These were scrounged from the neighborhood where it seems every second house is tossing out old Ikea bookcases. The paper backed veneer was glued using Titebond 2. It took some time though as there are 12 panels (6 each speaker) and each is glued, clamped, wait to dry, trim edges with knife and then sand smooth.
The back plastic port seems to be glued in so I made a big round hole in one of the clamping boards to fit over it. I also pre-cut the port hole in the veneer using the front trim panel's tweeter hole as a template as they are close to the same size and sanded out to fit exactly.
The holes for the speakers and binding posts were gouged out and trimmed using a sharp Stanley knife using fresh blades and downward cuts.

Stain was Howard's restore-a-finish in dark walnut and rubbed down with feedNwax, basically because I had some leftover but I think the color came out OK.
I also re-glued on the back product sticker and the front "Elac" badge (the badge's 2 x 3.5mm pin holes are 22mm from the bottom edge and 100mm from each side).
And here are some pics..
20161130_121540.jpg 20161130_121606.jpg 20161130_121639.jpg 20161125_100148.jpg 20161125_102101.jpg 20161126_123827.jpg 20161126_124538.jpg 20161128_180000.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20161130_121639.jpg
    20161130_121639.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 182
Register to hide this ad
Superb!

I'm hoping to pull all that ugly vinyl crap off my Polk SDA 1-B's (only ones in the series without veneer, grrrr) and replace with some nice, real wood veneer.

To say I'm afraid is an understatement. All my woodworking friends say "Ahh, man, it's easy!"

Yeah, I'm sure it is. However, putting a stamp on an envelope gives me fits, so .....
 
I'm on a bit of a veneer kick at the moment - did my Pioneer SX-650, a Marantz WC-22 case and then another SX-650. I recently bought a set of Elac B6 speakers and while I'm very happy with the sound, the black vinyl covering was starting to grate my sensibilities as it did not match the other vintage wooden components in my system so I decided to rip off the vinyl and slap on real veneer.
Here's how I did it..

Magnetic grills
I decided to also swap out the peg mounted grill attachers and to use magnets so the wood look is undisturbed. I was concerned the magnets might interfere with the speaker magnets but then found the Elac UniFi speakers also use magnetic grills so I felt OK. I used "6mm X 10mm Neodymium Disc Strong Rare Earth N50 Small Fridge Magnets" and they just needed the holes drilled out in the wood with a 15/64" drill (about 5.8mm) and 10mm deep. The rubber holes in the grills were also drilled out and the magnets needed some force to insert so I'm confident they wont pull out. In the front wood, I also glued them in even though they were tight in the holes and needed to be tapped in with a piece of wood. Oh- and I made the mistake of putting in the magnets before matching polarity and so I had to pull some out and turn them around. You want to have them all the same +/- direction so you can swap left/right grills or turn them upside down if you so desire.

Veneer.
First, I have no expert tools save 2 sash clamps (4 would be better), a Stanley knife, a few scraps of sand paper and some flat scraps of Melamine boards to clamp the veneer when drying. These were scrounged from the neighborhood where it seems every second house is tossing out old Ikea bookcases. The paper backed veneer was glued using Titebond 2. It took some time though as there are 12 panels (6 each speaker) and each is glued, clamped, wait to dry, trim edges with knife and then sand smooth.
The back plastic port seems to be glued in so I made a big round hole in one of the clamping boards to fit over it. I also pre-cut the port hole in the veneer using the front trim panel's tweeter hole as a template as they are close to the same size and sanded out to fit exactly.
The holes for the speakers and binding posts were gouged out and trimmed using a sharp Stanley knife using fresh blades and downward cuts.

Stain was Howard's restore-a-finish in dark walnut and rubbed down with feedNwax, basically because I had some leftover but I think the color came out OK.
I also re-glued on the back product sticker and the front "Elac" badge (the badge's 2 x 3.5mm pin holes are 22mm from the bottom edge and 100mm from each side).
And here are some pics..
View attachment 827338 View attachment 827339 View attachment 827340 View attachment 827343 View attachment 827344 View attachment 827345 View attachment 827346 View attachment 827347

Truly inspirational! I wish I could give this post 1000 "likes".

I've been wanting to do something similar to my modified Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers forever. Your post, and results, may finally give me the motivation to actually do something about it.
 
Excellent work.

I have a pair of UB5 speakers and the vinyl is pretty thin and I'm thinking that quite a few of these speakers may have this done to them in the coming years. Hell, I had even thought about researching on how to do it.

Kindle, it'll be the death of bookshelves !
 
Superb!

I'm hoping to pull all that ugly vinyl crap off my Polk SDA 1-B's (only ones in the series without veneer, grrrr) and replace with some nice, real wood veneer.

To say I'm afraid is an understatement. All my woodworking friends say "Ahh, man, it's easy!"

Yeah, I'm sure it is. However, putting a stamp on an envelope gives me fits, so .....
Oh go for it man! You only live once! Better to have tried and done it, than wishing you always had!
 
Excellent work, and nice grain matching each surface! I'd love to see a few pics of the other pieces you veneered.
Glenn
 
Thanks for all the compliments!
Here's a post I did on my first veneer work on my Pioneer receivers and I'm currently doing some work on a Marantz WC-22 case which I'll post soon.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....g-a-wooden-receiver-case.680286/#post-9080282

Also, I did not mention this in my post but to remove the B6's metal grill posts from the speaker you just have to yank them out with pliers or vice-grips. Another reason to replace them with magnets as you will permanently enlarge the post's holes so if you want to re-use them you would need to glue them back. Here is a pic of them removed.
And all I can say to those contemplating this is to give it a go - it's easier than you think. But to MCM_fan contemplating the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers, I think they have a curved surface so that may complicate things but I'm sure it can be done and would look great.
 

Attachments

  • grill posts.jpg
    grill posts.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom